Curse Of The Karagatan

The black ghost ship departed the mist enveloped shallows, heralded by the crash of far off thunder. Waves of pure ebony crashed against the majestic bow, sending a fine spray of Mediterranean salt water onto the figure head that looked longingly out at the endless moon reflected ocean. Fifty men stood on the deck of the magnificent Raven, looking at what lay before them. Large spiked rocks protruded the ocean's surface overshadowed by treacherous high cliff faces on either side. The notorious sea captain studied the monstrous rocks with insolent fearlessness. The first mate’s bottle green eyes ran over the old man’s weather beaten face, just discerning his features in the dim candlelight and waited for instruction. The captain looked towards his first mate who quickly tore his eyes away, trying to dismiss the feeling of terror.
“ Prepare the cannons Hammond.” the captain ordered, with a dangerous tone and Hammond jumped to bark orders at the crew.
“ Fire!” Hammond yelled, and the roar of the Raven’s bow cannons bounced around the rocky walls.
Unpleasant sounds of shattering, grinding and collapsing stone echoed through the gorge. A blood curdling scream accompanied the sound. Hammond covered his ears as soon as the sound started, feeling the taste of bile rise in his throat. The screaming sent the men collapsing to the floor as they tried to cover their ears. It was deafening, piercing through Hammond’s eardrums as the men around him howled in tremendous pain.
The dust from the rocks dissipated, the noise still echoing in the first mate’s spinning head. Hammond slowly rose to his feet and stumbled drunkenly towards the captain who was slumped over the wheel and the crew scattered unconsciously at his feet. He managed to reach the stairs before the Raven rocked violently, falling to the floor. Hammond felt his heart racing as the boat lurched violently to the left. There was something below them in the deep and oddly cold murky water. The first mate trod lightly on the deck, creeping towards the ship's railing.
“ You know, I've always found peace in the ocean…” stated a woman’s voice from behind him. The first mate slowly turned around seeing a beautiful woman in a flowing white dress that was like sea foam. The woman never shivered, despite the chill. Hammond watched the strange woman as she looked lovingly out at the ocean.
The woman sighed, her gaze became darker as she turned her head slowly to look at Hammond.
“ That was until your kind invaded the ocean,” She continued, her deep blue eyes glowing under the full moon. “Pirates…” she spat with venom.
Hammond’s breath hitched in his throat as she took slow steps towards him, smiling hatefully.
“ What are you?” Hammond squeaked through fear constricted vocal cords.
She let out an insane cackle “ I am the Karagatan Siren and you killed my sisters.”
The woman frowned as she stood before the first mate and his blood ran cold. “ Prepare to meet your fate...Pirate.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!