New House, New Discoveries

Here I was, standing on the dusty steps of my new house. Ever since my parents split up my mum has forever been trying to find a new home. Eventually she found this tiny cottage way on the other side of Brisbane. I felt miserable as I missed my dad terribly. When I was let inside, I walked up the narrow staircase to my bedroom. The scent of fresh paint wafted up my nose. I dumped my suitcase on the polka dot decorated bed and peered around the room. Suddenly I spotted a loose brick in the wall. I tried to push it into place but lost my balance. Before I knew it I had fallen through a hole that had appeared mysteriously in the floor.
I landed with a bump on the earthy brown ground. I looked around this unusual place, where was I? I soon decided I was probably in a secret passage. Dusting myself off I stood up and searched for an exit. Unfortunately, all I could find were pitch black tunnels scattered everywhere. I finally chose one on the right. Suddenly I realised I actually didn’t know where to go! I started to feel a sick feeling down in my stomach like the time I lost my mum at the supermarket.
“Help! Help me please!” I cried at the top of my lungs. I waited in silence but no one could hear me. I tried over and over again. Still no one could hear me.
I needed a light so I could see more clearly. I raced through the tunnels searching desperately but I still kept running into pitch black darkness. Tears welled up in my eyes.
I sat down miserably putting my head in my hands. How would I ever see my beloved mum again? A tear slipped down my worried face. I then heard thundering footsteps that sounded like a group of animals coming in my direction. Almost like magic out popped a funny looking creature and then another and another. These unique creatures were covered in light green fur with a hint of glitter. Soon enough there were hundreds surrounding me. I stepped back feeling frightened.
“Don’t be afraid as we are your guardians and we protect you,” they informed me. “You now live in a very magical house and we protect whoever lives here,” the creatures told me. Showing that I understood I nodded my head. “Now I imagine you would like to go home, is that correct?” they asked me finishing their speech. “Yes, it is,” I replied. I then noticed the hole appearing once again. A great gust of wind whirled me back to my bedroom. I sat there feeling amazed. I could hear my mum’s familiar call echoing down the hall. This house may not look very exciting, but I had made an amazing new discovery in it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!