Charlie

My eyes settled on a large clear jar, full to the brim with lollies. I smiled. That made me think of Bart.
Bart and I are best friends. We have been pals since Kindergarten, when we first met.
I remember having trouble with a maths question: 2+3, and that’s when Bart came over to help. He was very smart for his age, and even now, in Year 6, he always gets perfect scores.
Bart had shown me how to do that question, by using my fingers, and after that, I never got an adding question wrong in Kindergarten again.
Bart and I had accumulated a lot of sweets last Halloween. We had got so many sweets that even now, in January, we still hadn’t eaten them all.
Bart had dressed up as a ghost. It had been very easy to make his costume. We had simply cut out two eyeholes from a white sheet and that was all! Bart’s costume was done.
I had dressed up as a mummy. Bart had had a lot of fun wrapping me up in toilet paper, and with our two simple costumes, Bart and I had set out.
My gaze turned to outside my window, which overlooked my backyard. In the middle of the neatly mowed lawn, was a treehouse.
The treehouse had been Bart’s idea. The idea had started when Bart and I were sitting in the branches of my tree.
We had been goofing around, when suddenly, Bart had said, “You know what would be a great idea, Charlie?”
“What?” I had asked excitedly.
“We could build a treehouse here!” Bart had said, grinning. “With all of this space, a few wood planks, a bit of elbow grease, and a dad, I’m sure we could build this treehouse in a few weeks!”
I had agreed enthusiastically and the plan was set into action.
Dad had bought the materials from a local hardware store, and Bart and I had assembled and painted the treehouse (with a little bit of Dad’s help, of course) within two weeks.
I wondered what Bart was doing on a day like this. Was he at the swimming pool, relaxing? Or-
Knock, knock!
I slowly walked down the stairs and shuffled over to the door. Who would be out on a day like this? I wondered as I opened the door.
I gasped.
There, standing on the welcome mat, was Bart, smiling sheepishly.
“Uh, hello Bart,” I said awkwardly.
“Hello,” said Bart, nervously shifting from foot to foot, “I came here to, um, ask you something.”
“Yes?” I asked.
Bart pulled out two movie tickets from his pocket. “Charlotte, would you go to the movies with me today? I mean, I know it’s a bit hot, but…”
I flicked my ponytail and flashed a grin. “Of course, Bart. Just let me get my purse.”
“Okay.” Bart smiled happily.
“Oh, and just one more thing,” I said.
“Yeah?”
“You know I prefer to be called Charlie.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!