The Unicorn's Secret

Many moons ago, a herd of unicorns lived in peace in a secret valley. It was beautiful with a waterfall and all the colours of the rainbow through the different plants that grew there. It was a safe and peaceful place for the unicorns to live wild and free. Until one dark day, an evil wizard called Battle found the magical doorway into their valley. He went through the magical doorway that was kept as a unicorn secret for as long as time. However, this evil wizard had found the entry that connects the human world with the unicorn world.
Now that Battle located the doorway, he kidnapped all the unicorns he could and took them back to the human world to sell millions. To Battle’s frustrations, no-one would buy them for the money he seek. Each week he lowered the price until they were only worth $100.
Everyone thought they were just fake except one special girl. She always walked around the streets, looking at all her favourite stores. She always thought Battle’s was the best store because of the magical items he sold.
Until today when he had unicorns for sale. Alice was this special girl, who believed in freedom. When she saw the poor creatures trapped in chains, she felt so awful for them. She had to help them, because everyone deserves a chance to be free!
The first time she questioned Battle about the chains, he said “I will try and make them feel more at home. Pop in tomorrow and you will see Alice.” Sure enough, she went back the next day to see the changes he claimed he would make. He had only made a small pen for them to roam in. Still the sight was horrible! Alice repeated her words firmly “Sir, you wonder why no-one will come to buy your creatures don’t you? Look at their sadness.”
”What would you know?” He replied.
“No-one will buy creatures that are unhappy, in a tiny pen or chains. They would buy creatures that are happy, have room to move, and get a daily stroll and such things” Alice suggested.
“Then space they shall have” replied Battle.
The very next day Alice went in the store to see the unicorns were in a larger pen but still had no feed and most were turning into skin and bones. Alice told Battle that if they look like skin and bones no-one will like them.
He again promised changes and of course, Alice came in the next day to see what those changes were. Alice continued this until Battle agreed that she could take them for a stroll. Of course she had planned to walk them all at the same time. She had tricked Battle and set the unicorns all free. They were all so happy to be set free that they gave Alice a special pendant that allows her to visit the unicorn world whenever she pleases. The magical doorway was moved to where Battle could never find it. The unicorns live free to this day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!