The 800 metres

“POP!” The shot gun blew off my ear, I didn’t run. I couldn’t, the nerves were eating me up. Everyone was yelling at me in desperation I started running. There weer four girls ahead of me, but I didn’t mind... I was just glad that our teacher had let me into the race. The girls were very fast, but I didn’t care. I felt the wind in my hair as I ran and the cold breeze making my face feel plastered. The St George Oval was very windy and made it hard to run. I daydreamt until I reminded myself, I was in a race, and I had to focus. So I put my head down and told myself.
“I can do it, no I cant, I can do it, no I cant” that chant repeated over and over in my head until I looked up to see no one in front of me. They had probably all finished. I turned to the crowd and everyone in my house colour had their jaws dropped. I turned around and there were four girls behind me! WOW! I was winning! I sprinted further but I was only 450 metre of the way. Then it hit me, a cramp! The stich ached; it twisted my stomach inside and out. It felt like a million knifes going down my oesophagus, not letting me breathe. Yet the girls were catching up so I couldn’t stop, NO WAY! My stomach still churned as I stopped and thought I must give up. Then with one glance back I saw the girls only a few metres away. I COULDN’T STOP! I got up and the pain seemed to vanish. I sped up and turned to see three girls. WHAT?? THREE?? I looked to the side line and saw the fourth girl lying down, she had fainted!
“Disappointing, but I must go on!” I said to myself, I think I might need therapy after this.
I had ran 550 metres and the girls were catching up. I was thinking of pulling out when I heard.
“GO LARA, GO LARA!” It was coming from my team; they were all depending on me!
That was my inspiration, I ran as fast as a cheetah. Its amazing, one day I’m the slowest in the class and the next I’m the fastest. I was 750 metres now and another stich approached my stomach but I had to fight it.
“COME ON!” I said to myself thinking of therapy again.
I forgot about my aching pains on the inside and crossed the line!
”I can’t, what I won? NO, that’s not, NO!” I said in disbelief
But yes it was true I HAD WON THE 800 METRES!
I wonder how much I’ll get payed in the Olympics I ask myself silently and giggled!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!