Jack 'n' Jill

"Come on, Jack!" That is the excited shrill cry of joy coming from my sister as she races up and down the path only stopping at the base of the hill she wants us to climb.
"Jill, can we go home now?" That's me. Impatiently waiting for Jill to tire herself out so that we can go home.
"Where's you sense of adventure, Jack?" she races off before I can answer. She probably already knows the answer anyway.
"At home. With a book." I start to hobble my own way up the hill, muttering the whole way.
"It's no fun just sitting at home and reading about other peoples adventures. You've got get out and have your own." She's finally stopped long enough for me to catch up to her and grab onto her elbow for support.
"Unlike you, I'm perfectly fine finding my enjoyment and 'sense of adventure' in a book back at home." My cane makes a soft 'thud' as we walk up the dirt path to the top of the hill.
"Jack at some point we've got to leave this small town. Explore the world or at least the nest town over. We can't live here forever, at least I can't." She say's this in such a small voice, I don't want to believe it came from her.
"You know I can't travel far, my legs won't let me. And besides I need to stay close to the doctor, he needs to keep an eye on my prosthetic. Anyway, you've had chances to leave on your own." I Say this as Jill helps me sit down and take off my fake leg.
"You know i won't leave you alone. We're twins, we match. Your missing leg, my missing arm. I don't want to experience anything without you by my side." I look at her arm. The left one that missing everything bellow the elbow. she refuses to get a prosthetic and i can't imagine her with one. It's not her.
It's silent and we just stare at each others missing limbs. I'm missing most of my right leg. Only have half the thigh of the actual limb, it's nothing but a stub. This is how we stay, just sitting on the ground and silently staring.
"The views nice." The horizon is basked in yellows and oranges and pinks. But it's further up that's truly the beauty of this sky's picture. It's a deep rich blue, speckled with white stars. Slight shades of green and gold are dance along with the stars.
"Yeah, it's nice." i put on my prosthetic and stand as Jill stares at the sky.
"Come on, let's go home for now." I Lean against my canes as Jill stands. She takes my elbow as we head back down the hill. Home to our little town.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!