The 10 Seconds Of War

“Take cover!” he screams. “Take cov-.” As I look to see why he’s stopped I notice him lying on the ground coughing up blood. “Carter!” I yell. “I need the med kit!” I let go of my gun and hear people screaming in pain and chatter between the enemy. I hold my hands around the injured man not caring about the blood going on my pants.
“You’re going to be ok. It’s all going to be ok.” the mortars start coming down on us and hits in ground in front of the trench. Carter is screaming at me, but rumble from the bombs and the sound of death itself blocks out the sound of his voice.
“What’s your name soldier?” I ask the wounded man. He tries to speak but there’s too much blood in his mouth. “No don’t talk” I quickly say. I go to check his dog tag but it’s already stained with blood and it was clear that this wasn’t the first time he’s been shot. The soldier puts his hand In his pocket and pulls out a piece of paper. He then hands it to me and then holds my hand. I shed a tear for him while his grip slowly fades to half strength. Then to a limp bloody hand. The mortars are still hitting us and everyone is on the ground. It’s hard to tell if they are dead or covering but all I know is that I want revenge for my fallen comrade.
I let go of his hand and put the paper under banged that’s over my head. I stand up and put both hands on the turret and start firing into the smoke. The more I fire the more I feel the pain but at the same time relief from all the dead surrounding me. The mortars have stopped coming down but the sound of gunfire keeps up. As the smoke clears and I start to see figures in the smoke. I hear things moving around me and the voice of death. “10 seconds till reinforcements!” I look over to see Carter and 15 troops rise up from the sea of bodies and get back to shooting. 10 seconds I think. A lot can happen in 10 seconds.
10 We are standing strong and looks like this battle is ours for the taking…
9 My turret gets jammed so I have to swap for my rifle…
8 One of the enemy jumps in the trench and points his gun at me…
7 Daniels stabs him in the back before he opens fire on everyone on the left side of the trench...
6 I turn and start firing my gun at the shadows in the smoke…
5 I see what appears to be a grenade heading for my right side…
4 “Carter” I yell, keeping my eye on the ball of death…
3 “I got it” Daniels yells as he picks it up and throws his arm back…
2 I look back to see the grenade get a meter away from his hand…
1 and it goes off…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!