I Like This Girl

I can’t do it. I wasn’t designed to write make up stories to feed the hungry minds of those who choose to pick up my work. The work that I put my life and soul into, perfecting it thousands of times over and over again, checking the clock constantly and realising that I’ve been staring at the same empty, blinding white screen for half an hour. I’m not creative, just bland, plain and normal. Completely boring the heck out of those around me, annoying them, agitating them. I’m a big time screw up, got a couple of spelling and grammar mistakes in my last test, now I can’t do anything right.
News flash people. These aren’t my words nor would I ever let them be the ones of any of my friends because I am successful, and I am creative, and I can write this short story because I want to. People will stare and judge so it’s my job to make sure they don’t forget me. Leave my mark, make my stand and create a huge splash. The moment I pull out my book or my laptop and start writing is one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced. Listening to the soft tapping of the keys as I press down on the keyboard knowing that I’m doing something with my life. It’s not huge, it’s not even remotely big, but it’s better than sitting down at home doing nothing but watching the seconds tick by slowly on the old analogue clock in the middle of the wall in the lounge room. It’s better to sit at a desk doing something I enjoy rather than checking on my Snapchat account 24/7.
Knowing that I’m not wasting the time I spend on earth. Living my life, the way I want to, not fearing the uncharted, not cowering away from the unknown. Knowing that there is always someone who loves me whether it’s the guy I’ve liked since term two last year or not. Knowing that I have friends to talk to, a passion to live for and a reason to wake up every morning. knowing that I’m going to see my brother on the weekend and see my sister every morning as I walk out of the bathroom. Knowing that, now there is always food in the fridge and leftovers to rummage through. Living with the security of not becoming my mother.
Knowing that my life isn’t always about knowing what’s going to happen or what I’m going to do tomorrow. But instead about loving my friends and caring for my family, taking the chances that those I know wouldn’t. Putting myself on the line daily, not afraid of fear, not afraid of falling. Challenges are gifts that force us to go wild, try new things, get lost and find our way back to safety. The comfort of the fire burning in the living room as you snuggle in closely with your loved ones during winter.
“I like this girl.”
“I wish that’s what they all said”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!