Waves Of Time

The sacrifice was worth it. I know it was; it had to be.
As I stood alone in that surprisingly large room, I looked out to the three seats before me. Not one person was moving, not to clap, not to blink, not to even scratch their nose. Swallowing hard, I realised I could barely hear my watch ticking anymore. Not that it mattered though, because after this I had all the time in the world to relax. I deserve it after training at this for years. For so long I was lost in a dark and endless ocean, thrashing and fighting relentlessly against the current of people that wanted nothing more then to pull me under the water. My body tensed. lowering the trombone from my lips to my side, my ears cleared and a deafening silence surrounded me. Seconds passed, or, was it minutes? Suddenly, the judges were on their feet and… applauding me? It sounded oddly hollow, the ringing in my ears not at all how I had imagined the cacophony of it would be. Blood rushed to my head, making me too hot too quickly, and flushing my cheeks a blotchy pink. There were no whistles or whoops, but somehow, this was more rewarding. If time had slowed down at all before, it had come to a complete stop now. After relishing in my success for just a little while longer, I smiled wide and bowed humbly. It really was worth it. My fight against the current was over, and I had won.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!