Happy Place

As I walk along the moist sand, there is a bitter taste of seawater that has entered my mouth from the sea breeze that has suddenly come my way. Although I come here all the time, my eyes still cannot adjust to the stunning scenery. I look at the rocks beside me and notice the brown rocks have turned a magnificent gold as it clashed with the gazing sun behind me. Just looking at the appealing rocks reminded me of when I was little, and how I climbed the rocks trying to be Spiderman. I would climb up the rocks pretending to shoot webs out of my hand.

Unfortunately, being Spiderman didn’t work out, for I would always fall and graze some part of me. As I stop to reminisce, I feel the crumbled sand squeezed in between my toes, spilling out over them like a volcano of lava. I am jolted from my thoughts by something that has caught my eye… what is that? I look harder and it is like I am in a dream… in a fairy-tale. It is too beautiful to be in this world, too beautiful to be my reality. I am seeing the sun dance across the ocean like a tribal warrior. The sea turns a marvelous pink as the sun faded and is now a calming orange. I don’t want to leave because I am happy here… the weight of the world has lifted from my shoulders and this is the only place I can be a child, adolescent, and an adult all together at once. But just like the sun, drifting further behind the waves of what now seems to be a blanket of vigorous water and I too will have to drift back to reality, to the responsibilities and the never-ending workload which people mistake as life.

This ending comes too quick as the clouds have now rolled in towards me like a bulldozer trying to scoop me and take me away. Like the defiant child, I want to rebel but then I feel a drop… and then another… It has started to rain, and I have no choice but to surrender. I walk away with my chin on my chest, and a warm glow in my heart knowing I can return.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!