War Times

I gazed around the room and sighed heavily. Life nowadays was just a blur as my dementia has started to sink in. Day after day, my daily routine has always been the same old same old.

I got up reluctantly and headed towards my clustered bathroom, hobbling towards the door. I focused my attention in the mirror where for the last 55 years I had brushed my teeth. A flick of familiarisation sparked my mind. No longer was I an old forgetful man, but I was a soldier.

It was 1915 and I was just 18 years old. My mates and I clambered over the fields trying to get a glimpse of the scene. It was a nightmare. In our camouflage suits, we rushed off to help our fellow soldiers and support them. The battlefield was a mess, dust was flying everywhere and you could hear gunshots fire off right next to you.

A shot fired and it was hurdling towards my friend, Sir Roberts Williamson. I scrambled over and pushed him down. The bullet sliced the man behind him. It was a close call. Out of breath, and quite shocked, he thanked me quickly and moved away.

I grabbed my rifle and ran to the nearest shelter. Something felt wrong. A loud, ferocious, crackling noise hit my ears. Then, there was a sudden pause and nothing was happening. I cleared out the fog and saw a thousand bodies lying on the grass. I glanced at the nurse shelter, there was no one alive. I felt like I was the only one alive. As I was deeply in thought, a cough interrupted me and I started with a jolt.

An old man emerged from the bottom of the hill. His voice was as raspy as the wind. He told me to go away and to never come back. I looked him up and down and noticed that his leg was gone and blood trickled down his other leg. In horror, I just ran.

I didn’t know how far I’d run until I reached an old shack. A fairly large woman appeared, by the looks of her, I knew she was a farmer. She took me inside and cared for me. There, I met her husband, and her little girl Maisy. As I was starting to get to know her, she told me that I would be safe here for now.

The next day, I went back to the war site warily and realised the war was still on. It was the same chaos from the first day. I wanted to stay with the farmers, but I knew that it was my duty to serve in the war.

After some restless hours of fighting, I saw a white flag raise up. At first, I was confused but then It hit my mind that we had won. Everyone started cheering and I felt like I was on top of the world. I closed my eyes inhaling the victory like it was the smell of lavender. It was my favourite scent.

Suddenly, I opened my eyes and I was staring at the mirror. My eyes were wrinkly, my teeth worn out and I was an elderly man once again. I slouched back onto my bed and then I slowly, slowly went to sleep. I knew my times were over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!