War Story

I have a war story, but not for me for a girl I used to know, she was smart, funny but no one actually knew her. Everyone knew her as Kit but her name was Anastasia Hope Jensen, she was the middle child of 5. I met Anastasia when she was 16, I was 15. It was a sunny day and I was sitting outside by a tree reading. “Is that a good book?” a gentle voice frightened me and I threw my book high in the air and some pages went flying. “Gosh darn it!” I yelled grumpily and scrambled to pick the pages up. “Oh so sorry!” the shy voice said again. Just then I realized that there was someone else there. “I’m sorry I didn’t see you there” I said as I got up from the ground and turned to look at her and saw her gorgeous light chestnut hair fly in the wind and her big brown eyes staring at me with amusement. She just stood there and giggled. I stood up straight and put my hand out “Hi my names Gracie.” I smiled at her. “Kit” she smiled back. “Is Kit short for something?” I asked. “No my real name is Anastasia but everyone knows me as Kit I don’t think they know my actual name.” I smiled. We said our goodbyes then went our own ways. Well I finished collecting the pages to my book. On Friday after school I was doing my volunteer hours at the hospital. It was my week to take the trolley to the cancer patent. I was slowly making my way through the patents when I came across the last door I walked in and the doctors and all these people gathered around a bed. I was minding my own business when I heard a small fragile voice singing I turn around to this voice I knew and saw her laying in the hospital bed with two identical little girls siting with her. I stand there smiling at her until she looked up and saw me. “Gracie hi!” she said in a week voice I just smiled at her. I visited Kit every day after school. She told me she had incurable bone cancer disease. I learn so much more about her we became acquaintances one day I went to see her after school but when I arrived at her room it was empty no sign of her not even her twin sisters dancing around the room. I went to the office lady and asked about Kit she said “my deepest condolences Miss Jensen passed away this morning” I ran home and cried for days and days on end. On the 24 of February I attended her funeral sitting there trying not to cry her mum calls my name. I look up at the podium “in her last moments she wrote you a letter.” I walked to the front and took the letter and read it and I cried…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!