New Nest

“Why do the humans hate us, mummy?”
“I don’t know, James.”
“Why is daddy gone?”
“I don’t know, James.”
THIS is the conversation I have to have with my child every morning. Just this morning I woke up, ate my flies, got barraged with millions of questions even I don’t know the answer to, had a mid life crisis and returned to my web, wishing its all a dream. And before you go all “oh no I’m so sorry for you I could never imagine what that feels like omigoshimsoprivilagedifeelsobad! #blessed” Just remember that if you saw an amazing dancing daddy long legs, you wouldn’t feel a thing as you immediately smashed it with a broom. So don’t go spouting off that empathy without the sympathy to back it up. Anyways, let’s cycle back a while to see what happened.

We’d just moved into a new web in a new area, and we wanted to check who our neighbours were. Our last neighbours were two tigers, so we didn’t have high hopes. However, we did want to befriend these unknown creatures, as we didn’t want another near death experience. One was enough for me. So, not knowing the true extent of how truly cruel, unforgiving and sick these people really were we blundered onto the doorstep and entered the “house”. Bob, my husband and valiant spider indeed attempted to befriend the behemoths by doing a little jig on a barstool. Now, instead of appreciating this humble act of kindness, the “humans” promptly smashed him with a broom. Needless to say, he didn’t make it out alive. Now I’m a single mother, and I’m doing all I can to keep my poor little kid alive.

I think mummy’s sad. Ever since dad went away on a very long vacation she has been acting weird. I think it’s because of the the rude neighbours who don’t like us very much, but it’s hard to tell. I’ve been trying to figure out why the humans hate us so much, and asking mum questions but she doesn’t know either. So, that’s why I’ve decided to find out myself. I’m going to come up to them and ask. Simple, right?

Why is James at the horrible humans’ doorstep? Why is he knocking? Why has he not noticed the huge snarling dog right behind him? Those are all questions I am asking myself right now. “James!” I found myself screaming. Right then and there, I decided this is not the place I want to live. Bob had already been killed in this place, and I would not let James suffer the same fate. Mustering up my courage, I charged at the dog, just as it was about to eat my baby I screamed “Run!” The terrifying beast turned to me, charged, and everything went black.

I heard the scream and ran. What happened to Mummy, I don’t know. What happened to Daddy, I don’t know. But now, I know I must run. Mummy said so.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!