A Dark Secret

Being an only child was a big drama for Sarah. She had no one to tell her stories to, well, no one that could keep those stories a secret, and no one that she could completely trust. A sibling was what she had always asked for; when she blew out the candles on all 15 of her birthday cakes, whenever she came across a dandelion or a 4 leaf clover she would always wish to have a sibling. Never did she expect her wish to come true, and certainly not in the way it was to plan out.
She had written down the dream she'd had, not long ago, so she could remember it detail by detail. She was going to show it to her mum but decided, her mum would have no idea, and probably wouldn't understand how much like reality it had felt.
Her mum was a single mum and worked 7 days a week. She didn't understand her daughter and had no interest in the male species. She was happy with her life. She had money, a daughter, and a good job. What else is there to have? Keeping her past from Sarah was far easier than she had ever expected.
Sarah sat in her room, wondering which of her friends would understand, which would not laugh and tell her to get over it. None of them, she had not one friend that she could confide in. Her subconscious was the only trustworthy 'thing' in her life.
'Sarah' It was just her name that was said, but the voice was like no other, and Sarah knew exactly who it was.
'You're that woman... The one in my dream' Sarah thought she was going crazy.
'Sarah, you have a sibling, she is a bit older than you, but she is real. She needs help.'
Her mum entered the room at that moment. The woman disappeared, and in her place, her mother stood. Shock all over her face.
'Were you talking to someone?' she asked, her eyes moving like a crazy person.
'Were you going to tell me something?' Sarah countered. Another sibling? Why would her mum keep something so important from her..?
'Sarah... You don't understand. It was a mistake' she began
'No, the mistake was not telling me. She needs help.' Sarah looked at her mum, disappointed.
Her mum looked at her, horrified. Pulling out her iPhone, she dialled a number. Sarah could hear the buzzing of the phone line.. Then nothing. The look of horror on her mum's face was scary.
'She didn't answer. She does not answer. In the car, now.'
Sarah had no idea where she was, but she knew it wasn't good. It looked like a shed, a small tool shed. It was beaten up and very old. The door was wide open and swung on its hinges whenever there was a gust of wind.
'Sammie.!! Come on, stop kidding. Let us go. You're coming home.' Sarah looked at her mum, proud. Sammie. She had a sibling.
A tall slim girl stepped out of the shed, bruised, but breathing. 'Oh, Sammie... Come on'
They all scrambled into the car, and as it started rolling, Sarah looked over at her older sister, curious. The same look was mirrored in her sisters face.
'I'm Sarah, I'm fifteen years old, and I go to...' she began. Telling sammie stories about school, home and work.
Finally content, and a little jittery with excitement as to what the future could bring.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!