That Euphoric Feeling

It was quiet. All I could hear was the sound of the wind brushing past my soft cheeks and the sound of cars driving past on the streets below. I had my arms outstretched like I was flying high above the ground; as if I was an exotic bird drifting through the clear skies of the night. I had thought about my decisions before I came all the way upstairs to the rooftop and decided it was about time, I would let myself go. I’m kind of glad I chose tonight. I could leave with the beautiful sight of the racing city with the prepossessing night sky revealing the countless amount of stars that I could soon join. This was the first time in almost forever where I felt a sense of joy about my life decisions. I swung my right foot over the rim of the building’s exterior. Was I finally going to be in a natural state of euphoria? Would I finally join all those innocent people that were lost at hell’s gate? I had heard before I left town that what I was going to do was quite a common thought amongst youth around my age. There was no time for the tears that wanted to escape my eyes; they were useless in my case since I would be gone in a matter of minutes. Only one had managed to escape from my clasp but I let it run freely without disturbing it. I decided it was about time to leave. There was only one sincere thought that I would leave which was to the boy I had made a pact with, my only friend that I traded any secrets with. He swore to never tell, and I guess he never will now that I’ll be seeing him in the end. I guessed it was time for me to leave. I closed my dark eyes for the last time and took a deep breath. It was like walking on a tightrope high above the ground and losing my balance, falling to where no one had time to catch me and where there was no safety net hung in between me and the ground. As I fell, I thought of nothing only how I would finally leave the world that was full of negativity and destruction and be happy like I was on an unshakable high. There was minimal pain and no regret in the end unlike using a rope or an overdose. It all ended so quickly. I could only see white. Whenever I turned my head, I couldn’t tell if I’d already looked in that direction and I couldn’t feel a single breeze until a figure appeared in the distant sea of blanket white. As he seemed to float closer, a pair of horns seemed to appear like a deer’s antlers. It had appeared that it was the boy that I had befriended. He was dressed in white unlike his previous appearance of all black like I once wore since I now wore the same shade as my surroundings. I then grew my own set of horns and joined this new realm of life alongside all those people of legends. This was it. I was gone. Dead.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!