Quinn

Quinn lay in her bedroom silently. She listened sadly to her parents arguing about whether her father should go to Lingo, a wonderful place where there were lots of opportunities to work so he could raise money for them all to move. She dreamed of the day when her family could be safe away from the war and violence of their home country, Tarrange.

She was terribly miserable lying in bed with the racket of their arguing pounding in her head like a horrifying storm. Finally, she fell into deep sleep like a tired curled up kitten.

The next morning, she was woken by an ear-piercing scream coming from the kitchen. Quinn raced out of bed and ran down the hall into the kitchen. There she saw that all her father’s belongings were gone and her mother laying on the ground clutching father's favorite shirt. “What’s wrong?” Quinn asked confused. “Your father has left Lingo to find a safer place away from the war” her Mother sobbed.

As soon as she saw all of father’s belongings gone - his pipe, his favorite photo of the family, his shoes and suit case she dropped to the ground like a rock and out poured her tears like heavy rain. Quinn didn’t know what to feel, she felt sad that her father had left but felt happy that he was going to find a safe place for them to live.

After the shock of her father leaving without saying goodbye, hours turned into days and days turned into weeks before they heard from father again. Quinn and her mother were sitting at the table eating lunch when they heard a letter drop through the door. Quinn ran to the door and instantly recognized her fathers handwriting. “Mum come quick, there is a letter from father!” Mum excitedly read out the letter. “Father has found a safe house and job in Lingo. He has sent the money for us to move. Hurry, pack your bag, we’re leaving tonight.”

Quinn hopped to her room excitedly thinking about what she would pack. She got her suitcase out of her closet and started packing, excited she would see her father soon but sad she would leave her home and friends.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!