Barramundi

Barramundi
Hi, I’m Barramundi. My name means large scaled silver fish. My name suits me because, I am like a fish when I am in the water. I live on my own, in a secret spot on the Murray River.
“It’s a windy day today,” Barramundi yelled to Kevin the koala who stayed in and around the trees where Barramundi lived.
“Look at those currents Kevin, and I have never seen the water so high. No swimming today Kevin, not today.”
“I’m off to bed. Good night Kevin.” Barramundi sleepily said with a yawn. Barramundi was just about to fall asleep when he heard splashing in the river. He got up to have a look at what it was. He ran to the side of the river and realised it was a joey! There was a joey in the river! He knew he needed to save it for it wouldn’t last long without help but he knew he wouldn’t be able to swim against the currents.
He swooped in like an eagle and dived after the joey. He finally got him and held him tight so that he wouldn’t get away. Luckily, he was tired from being in the river so he didn’t put up much of a fight. Barramundi started swimming to the bank but every time he got close the currents would push them back in the middle of the river. Barramundi was getting tired and he knew he only had one more burst of energy. He knew that this would be his last chance to get to land. With one final attempt he managed to reach the bank. He got just enough grip and pulled himself, along with the kangaroo, to safety. He put the kangaroo on the dry land while he pulled himself up and out of the water. They both breathed with relief and fell asleep.
In the morning Barramundi woke up and found the joey licking his cheek. He realised what had happened last night and quickly stood up and took in the surroundings. He realised that he was lost.
Barramundi wondered how he would get back home and he then remembered that he could walk back along the river and he would eventually find home. He picked up the joey and said, “Kim. I will call you Kim.” So, Kim it was. They started their journey not knowing how long they would be walking.
They walked for three days straight sleeping under the stars each night and hoping that they wake up and wouldn’t have to walk to far to get back home.
Finally, on their fourth day, after walking further than they had before they finally got home. Kevin had been waiting, wondering where Barramundi was and a smile appeared on his face when Barramundi finally returned.
They were back home at last. Kim the kangaroo settled in and he and Kevin became good friends. Barramundi continued to look after Kim until he could be released.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!