Game On!


Beads of sweat trickled down Ronald’s neck as his opponent cautiously advanced his knight on its eager quest to demolish Ronald’s king. His pulse quickened as he diverted his opponent’s attention by descending his marble pawn again towards his adversary’s last line of defense.

Ronald was a precocious student in Westford State School who enjoyed the tranquility of a chess game. He dressed himself in the standard uniform for pupils, a crisp navy shirt with his school’s logo stitched onto his breast pocket. He approved of activities that tested mental strength and strongly felt that school’s should be controlled in a uniform manner.

This particular tournament was the national finals. Westford was barely ahead of Adrindale and Westford’s victory was placed upon the young boy’s shoulders.

A queen push could result in a sweet victory or a bitter defeat. Ronald was desperate. His time was at a bare-minimum and he had no advantages. The queen was advanced and the young competitor prayed for his gambit to succeed.
His adversary considered his possible outcomes then reached out for his mass of pieces. There was a sharp intake of breath. His opponent flashed a grin, then entrapped the queen.
Ronald’s ears roared with blood and he felt his cheeks warm. He knocked over his king in a sign of resignation and slumped in his seat. His opponent rose triumphantly. Jeers and insults were thrown and Adrindale retreated, satisfied they had defended their pride

Ronald knew that foiling opponents wasn’t his forte. He dragged his feet as he returned home. His dad awaited the young boy to deliver the verdict, but when his eyes met the frowning face that greeted him, he knew immediatly that the boy’s game had been lost. Their dinner progressed and the energy-soaked child remained silent.
Father and son began a friendly match, though Ronald knew he would blunder, consequently losing the game.
Ronald began with a heavily fortified arrangement. However, the mighty defense was whittled down until there were only ruins of the powerful monument that had once stood there. Ronald’s adrenaline rose and was about to play when the local radio channel began to play a concherto on violin. The sweet notes rippled across his mind and the soft notes soothed him. The notes rose, in a crescendo, into a deafening volume, then softened. The music abruptly ended. The trance was interrupted and Ronald’s gaze returned to the chessboard. When he continued, his adrenaline had lowered. His mind began whirring with ideas.
Glancing at the carpark the next day, Ronald noticed the Adrindale bus. The chess game was replayed and due to a nail-biting draw, the two schools were head to head in the tournament yet Ronald’s game continued. Ronald’s heart raced and his pulse quickened. Silently, he closed his eyes and hummed the impossibly sweet melody to himself again. The melodies and counter melodies fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and Ronald calmed, then stared at the chessboard. He was ready to play...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!