LEGEND OF HOW THE KANGAROO GOT ITS TAIL

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

Many centuries ago, as the sun scorched the barren earth, there lived two kangaroos as close as friends could ever be. One had vermillion fur and was as tall as a tree. the other one was obsidian in colour and very short. Their names were Jack and Enelel respectively.

As drougt ravaged the earth like a disease, Enelel desperately craved the relief of some delectable sugar bag. With hawk-like precision, he followed swarm of bees to their hive. Until eventually, he discovered a hole so large that you could fit a basketball throught it. The sweet nectar seemed to call to him from the crevice as he reached inside and retrieved a hard full of scrumptious sugar.

"Mmmmm!"

He smacked his lips and rubbed his stomach as the sweet honey crept doun his threat.

Jealous Jack yearned for some sugar bag too. With criminal cunning, Enelel directed his companiaon to reach his arm deep into the hole. Desperately, Jack complied but as he lifted his paw from the hole, he was greeted by a handful of spiders instead of sugar bag. Jack was furious! Jack reached in again, but once more spiders coated his paws like icing on a cake.

With livid loathing, Jack watched as Enelel ate up all, the sugar bag with none remaining. Enraged Jack stomped away to a blood wood tree and ripped off a branch as Enelel did the same. The two kangaroo glared at each other and readied themselves to fight.

It was really difficult. Neither Jack nor Enelel had ever fought before and eventually, they were simply chasing each other around. As Jack scrambled away Enelel was able to stab him in the bottom. Furiously, Jack hurled his stick at Enelel in return and similarly, it became wedged in his back. Defeated, they hopped away to their homes. Now when you see a kangaroo, you will know how it got its tail.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!