Rain

Tap, tap.

It’s raining.

A small bird flew lazily over the empty street, even she has a home to go to.

Tap, tap.

The street’s empty.

About this time last year, everything was fine. I would be sitting down on the soft grass on the same place, looking up at the stars with my loved ones. He would be leaning on my shoulder, maybe lightly snoring, not that I was protesting.

Then, everything changed. Everything I loved, everyone I loved, was all taken away from me.

No one’s here now.

I take a deep breath and look up towards the sky. It seemed darker than ever.

The world almost seemed black and white.

Tap, tap.

It’s getting dark.

I should go home. But… where is my home?

I realized for almost thousands of times, that I have no home.

I have no one but myself.

I sit down on the wet grass and take out my phone. Two percent battery left, just great.

Dialing…

“Hi, it’s me.

Sorry if I’ve been bothering you again.

I need a place to stay… Can you- Can you take me in for one night or two?

Huh, I’m really helpless, aren’t I?”

A soft mumble of a “yes” was my reply. I don’t know which question it applies to, but I take my small bag and stand up. Sighing, I slowly made my way to her home. It’s her home, not mine, the voice inside my head rang out loud and clear. I tried to ignore it, it didn’t work. I keep walking.

Tap, tap.



It’s still raining.

I stop at her front door, the warm light glows from inside her home. I wish I had a home like that.

I take out my phone again.

Dialing…

This time, it’s a different number.

“Hi…

I know we’ve been through bad times and I know you’ll probably hate me after what happened after that afternoon, but…

I’m sorry, how are you?

I just wanted to say I miss you… and…

I-”

BEEP-

The phone’s out of battery.

I don’t know if it’s the rain or tears that lingers on my face.

Stepping forward, I lightly tap the door. It opens with a ‘creak’ sound. A girl around my age poked her head from the gap of the open door.

“Oh, hey. Come in…” She mumbled.

I wipe my hands on my jeans and take off my shoes.

“You can bunk on Muffin’s room, she doesn’t even sleep there.” She said as she went upstairs, clearly tired.

I sigh, Muffin was her pet hamster.

Am I really worth less than a hamster? No, nevermind that-

I drag myself to the hamster’s room. Turning on the light, I plant myself on the mattress by the window and drag my worn mattress across it.

The sky is getting darker and darker. The city is slowly falling into a deep sleep.

The music playing on her neighbor’s radio mixed the sound of light rain tapping on the window,

“Shining down on me, you’re my blue moon

Dreaming forever to find now I’m awake

I need to find tomorrow,

Can you take me away?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!