Saving Shimmer

My best friend Kate and I were at Pets Galore looking at rabbits. Suddenly, we heard a little voice shouting “Help!”

Kate and I are the only girls in the world who can talk to animals! We each have a special bracelet that lets us hear what animals say! They’re both green with pawprints all over, but mine has pink pawprints and Kate's has purple.

“I think it’s coming from over there, Lottie,” said Kate. She was pointing to the fish aisle. Sure enough, a goldfish was jumping around in her bowl. She was obviously trying to get our attention.

Making sure that no one was watching, we crept over to the fish bowl. “Okay,” the fish said. “My name’s Goldie and the Octopus has got Shimmer and…”
“Slow down, little fish!” I said, trying to calm her down. “Who’s Shimmer?”
“She’s my sister,” said Goldie. “The Octopus has got her and I need you to rescue her. Now, hold hands, close your eyes and spin around seven times.”

We shrugged and did that. Suddenly, we began to fall! When we opened our eyes, we had turned into mermaids and were breathing underwater!

In front of us was a huge Octopus holding a scared looking goldfish in a cage. “I expect that’s the Octopus Goldie was talking about,” I whispered.
“Oh, Charlotte, what do we do?” Kate whispered back. “We’ll never get past him and Goldie’s counting on us!”
“Don’t worry,” I whispered. “I’ve got an idea. Try to make that rock look like a beach-ball.” I swam to the Octopus.
“Great and mighty Octopus!” I shouted, trying to ignore his horrible breath. “I have a wonderful beach-ball for you. All you have to give me in return is one goldfish.”
The Octopus smirked. “How can I know you’re not tricking me?” he said in a squeaky voice. “Show me the beach-ball.”
“Err, my assistant will show you – I’ll just go get her,” I said anxiously, swimming quickly to where Kate was still trying to make the rock look like a beach-ball. “It’s not working!” she said, exasperated. “I wish it would just turn into a beach-ball!”
Suddenly, right before our eyes, the rock turned into an extremely ugly beach-ball! “Omigosh, what just happened?” shouted Kate.
“I don’t know but the Octopus will love this beach-ball,” I said. So we swam back with Kate holding the disgusting beach-ball. “What took you so long… Look at that beautiful beach-ball!” cried the Octopus. “Give it to me right now!”
“Uh-uh,” I said. “Goldfish first.” The Octopus groaned and gave me the cage with Shimmer in it along with the key.
“Now, give me the beach-ball,” said the Octopus. Kate hurriedly handed it over. The Octopus started playing with it and Kate, Shimmer and I flew out of the water! We all closed our eyes.

When we opened them, we were back in Pets Galore, we were human girls again and Shimmer was in the bowl with Goldie.

We had saved Shimmer!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!