The Flaming Hound Near Flimangton

“COME ON LETS GO!” screamed Mum. I was honestly sick of her by now. Ever since we decided we would move house two weeks ago she’s been especially annoying. “GET IN THE CAR, ALL OF YOU! Frank, Lacklan, Billy, Shelly, Bobby, Joshy IN THE CAR NOW.” I was already in the car, well not really a car, it’s more like a bus, truck, van thing that Dad made. It’s really old and junky but it fits all ten of us. “ARE WE ALL IN THE CAR? OKAY GOOD. NOW LET’S GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE NOW!”
“Umm Mum…” Frank started. Frank was the oldest, he can be a bit annoying but he’s my favourite brother, “You do know George is still in the toilet right?” Mum didn’t look happy. She looked like she was about to scream. She was, her mouth opened her face turned red as a perfectly ripe tomato and then she stopped. I was confused. Her face just went from bright red to pale white. She was gawking through the open front door of our house we were just leaving. I tried to see what she was looking at. I leaned out the window of our car thingy, and saw a flame. Just a flame. I know it sounds confusing but all I could see was a flame. Floating there. It found us. “GO! DRIVE! HURRY!” Mum was back in action again. In an instant the flame burst into a hound. But it was still flaming. Luckily we managed to drive off just in time. And George had just grabbed onto the back of the car thingy.

We were at the new house. It was awful. Made fully of mud and straw. But it was a house. And it was far away from our old one. Ever since the flaming hound attacked our family and we killed its brother with a pitch fork, it’s been after us for years. We’ve moved house 23 times because of it. Now we are at a place called Flimangton with a large hill that looks like it could be pretty fun to play on. I had to share a room with Joshy, Billy, Lacklan and thankfully, I got Frank. Every night I could barely sleep. There was no glass on the window closest to me and I swear I can hear the crackling sound of fire burning. But whenever I look outside the window, there’s nothing there.

We’ve been in this house for 3 months now and that burning noise is still annoying me all night. But tonight I was going to stop that noise. I lay in my bed and listened. I heard the noise. I shot out of my bed and dived out the window. It was gone! I heard a growl. I turned around. Everything went black. I woke only to see a flaming hound. Staring at me. NO, I’m not moving house again. It’s time I ended this.

To be continued…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!