Elena

I am getting brutish looks from every angle, from everybody.
I have nowhere to sleep and I don’t want to beg.
People walk past me and pull their children closer to them, like I’m a dangerous monster.
I have no money and no home. I’m dirty and I probably smell.
I am barely surviving out on the streets.
A piece of food and a bottle of water will get me through the day.
I’m lucky to receive money from people passing by and I pray for those generous people.
I have no education, I can’t event spell my own name.
I need help, not judgmental glares.

My name is Elena.
I don’t know my last name because my parents abandoned me in 2004 on the streets of Melbourne.
I have never had parents or a carer or anybody who loved me.
I have learned how to take care of myself but I struggle.
I always feel faint, my skin is pale and my bones are showing through my torn shirt.
I feel like I’m slowly dying, painfully and slowly.
I cant find help, help.
I am not only struggling on the streets, but I’m scared out here.
I can’t tell what’s going to happen to me, and if something were to happen no one would care.
I am suffering pain.
Mentally and physically.
I don’t know what path I am going to follow in the future but so far it looks dark, scary and not worth living.

I ask myself everyday, do I really want to live, or would death be brighter than my situation.
I’m not sure if I should keep living. I’m really not sure.
What is the point of living if you are suffering and in pain.

A man in the streets came up to me and offered me some alcohol and a cigarette.
He said it would make me feel better.
I took the offer seeing that I probably wont have a very long life anyway.
He has been the only person that took my happiness into consideration.
He was right.
I felt amazing… but not for long.
I feel like I have an instinct to trust him, anyway if something were to happen to me I don’t really mind.
In all honesty I wish my life could be over.
I have been invited to meet the man from the streets in the 5th alley lane on tram street.
I know what I’m going to do, I’m going to go meet him there.
I don’t care what happens to me weather it be good or bad or even death, but I do have an instinct to go and no one can stop me.






FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!