Old Friends

Ivan hobbled to the front door as fast as his ruined leg could carry him, he had been eagerly awaiting this visit all month. He opened the door and the coldness of January hit him, the bitter wind blowing snow onto his front step. But even the weather couldn’t stop the smile spreading across his face as he beheld who stood on his doorstep.
“Long time no see, Ivan,” the shorter of the two said. Tears slid down Ivan’s face as he hugged Lýdia. He looked up at the other person standing on his snowy doorstep. Releasing Lýdia, Ivan stuck out his hand for Miloš to shake.
“It’s good to see you again,” Miloš said, his voice breaking a little as his hand met Ivan’s. Looking down at their conjoined hands Ivan noticed the tattoo on Miloš’s forearm.
A permanent reminder forever engraved in their flesh. A reminder of the pain and suffering endured by so many people. A reminder of all the evil existing in shadows of our world and how it can sometimes come to light in horrific ways. A horrible reminder, but also a symbol of hope, of survival.
***
‘S#*t, s#*t, s#*t.’
The word ran through Ivan’s mind over and over again. Repeating itself as he ran through the forest, dodging low branches and jumping over tree roots. The crashing and angry yelling coming from behind him willed him to run faster. His breath as sharp as glass in his throat as he heard Miloš urge him and Lýdia on. Ivan didn’t need any more encouragement as he looked over his shoulder and saw them. The two men in beige uniform stomping over ferns and dead leaves, swearing madly, every word, laced with violence and promising a quick death. Their blood red armbands that bore the symbol of the Nazi’s standing out, the swastikas as black as the death awaiting them.
BANG!
A gunshot almost as loud as Ivan’s thundering heartbeat rang out. Earth shattering pain splintered up through his leg as he fell to the ground and rolled down the hill.
***
With a quick blink Ivan was back in reality, a little shaken at the memory. He smiled at his friends, inviting them inside. He started to hobble back down the hallway, cursing his ruined leg. He finally made it to the living room and they all settled into chairs. And as they started reminiscing over a funny mix up on their plane ride, Ivan couldn't stop thinking.
The fact that they’re here…years later and still be able to smile and laugh is proof that scars heal and ink fades. And although it sounded like a fairy tale ending to Ivan, he couldn’t help but think that good will always triumphs over evil.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!