Temptation

“Take it,” he whispered in my ear, breath smelling like fresh peppermint, “Give in and take it.” My hand was outstretched, shaking like a feather in the wind. My fate was balanced on the tip of a knife, any wrong move could end me. It was so tempting though, sitting there like the cake you aren’t allowed.

“It won’t hurt, take it,” his voice was like the selfish one echoing around in my head. My common sense voice was in there to, but it was like playing one against two. I didn’t know if I had it in me to win.

The trembling in my body spread, my hand coming dangerously close to the spherical, glass ball poised on a modest, stone perch. You wouldn’t know that the glass ball was the key to the truth of the universe. The truth of life. Swirling in its depths was millions of stars, worlds, moons and galaxies, and I was just a hair’s breath away from them all.

So many parts of me wanted to take it, and with him whispering things ever so compelling in my ear, I didn’t think I would be able to fight the urge any longer. Closing my eyes, I took a deep steadying breath. There had to be an answer somewhere, I just needed to find it. I should have never let Death lure me in here with false promises, that now coated my body like paint splatters. Colourful, but covering up all mistakes.

“Take it, and feel the coolness of the glass in your hand, the power,” Death stalked around until he was facing me. Pale skin, onyx eyes and black hair, utterly dangerous and yet full of charisma. It oozed from him. There was that point of the blade again, and yet seeing him had helped fight the battle of consciousnesses.

“No,” I whispered softly, but there was an edge of sharpness to it.

“Why not?” He asked staring at me, as I slowly withdrew my hand from its frozen position.

“Because it is wrong,” I replied, straightening up, tearing my eyes away from the globe that contained life and death, “Because if I took that I would hold unthinkable power, that no one should ever have.” Each word I said, my voice grew in strength, like a sapling reaching for the light.

He opened his mouth to speak, but I turned around and began to make my way out of the cavern. “You should be proud,” Death spoke, “Not many would choose to walk away.” A wry, if disappointed smile lit his face, and he didn’t seem so ethereal now. My cue to leave, otherwise he might hook me on his line, and draw me back in.

“The meaning of life is not something that’s meant to be discovered. And perhaps when the time is right someone will, but between you an me, I don’t think a time like that will ever come.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!