Family's Love Hurts

Three months. Three months it has been since my mother commit suicide. Dad has been doing the same as usual. Drinking. Bottles and bottle of alcohol. I used to love him. Maybe he used to love me. Now he only loves his beer. We haven’t celebrated my 18th birthday. I don’t even care anymore. I watch my dad almost slip of the couch. I need to get out of here. I need a break.
After grabbing my match and cigarette packet, I tread out the door. I turn to watch my dad collapse off the couch. I sigh, my breath filling with hatred. I leave the door unlocked and I drag my feet across the pavement. My mind wanders back to the house and I turn back to face it. It looks like something out of a horror movie. I am not even bothered to repaint it. My feet move slowly and silently along the road to the Big Tree. I have spent most of my 3 months at the Big Tree. It’s my go-to place for silence. I climb the tree, imagining that I am climbing the path to heaven. The path to Mum.
I make my way to the top and I rest on the branch.
Out of nowhere I feel tears slide down my cheek. I start remembering. No matter how much I tried to help Mum, nothing worked. Dad abused her every day. Every time he did, it was with a bottle in his hand. I wipe my falling cheeks in silence and I put my cigarette to my mouth. I rest my head on the tree as more tears escape my eyes. My time is coming. I need to do something.
I stand on the branch in pity. I make my way to the edge. I take a sip of the evening air. I close my eyes and imagine my soul leaving my body, and travelling to the place above the clouds.
I remember something. My final conversation with Mum.
“What do you mean you’re leaving?” my voice echoes in my mind.
“I can’t be here anymore. There is too much sadness,” Mum responds, her hands shaking.
“You told Dad you’d be loyal! You told me you’d be loyal!” I yell, tears streaming down my face.
“I know,” she cried. She grabbed my face between her cold hands.
“He has hurt me too much. I need to go. Life has hurt me too much…” Mum explained.
She released me from her grip.
“I’m so sorry. I have been a terrible mother-“
“No,” I interrupted, “You have been an amazing mother,” I confessed.
The last sentence echoed as I flash back to reality.
I glance back to the ground in realization. It’s time to leave home.
=====================================================
Backpack in one hand, cigarette in the other. I shut the door behind me, not turning back. The chill grew colder as I wander down the street. I can see a better life. I want more than this. Darkness surrounds me as I walk towards peace. I watch the smoke from my cigarette climb to the moon.
I don’t know where to go.
I’m following my own path to freedom. Nothing can drag me down anymore.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!