DARKNESS

Footsteps thumped on the rough forest terrain. Max Goldstring was sprinting at top speed through the dank Forest of Trimbolene, while his mind was having an argument with his body. “What are you doing? “he screamed silently to himself. “You can’t outrun the famed silver jaguar, and even less so when it has been bewitched by the dark lord Argameth. “ Still, Max continued running, occasionally sidestepping through clumps of grass and scrambling nimbly over dreary grey rocks that were scattered randomly in his path. But still the silver jaguar relentlessly pursued him.
A flicker of an idea came to Max, and he changed course, heading for the dilapidated house that he knew was nearby. Within minutes, he could see it’s faded, shadowy outline in the distant gloom of the forest. Max could hear blood-curdling growls behind him, and his heart raced. The jaguar was a few yards away. Max hurled himself over the decrepit steel gate and shuddered as the dark forbidding walls of the fence towered menacingly.
He ran to the door, cringing in fear as the silver jaguar drew closer. With a shaking hand, Max fumbled with the rusty doorknob, eventually opening it wide enough to hurl himself through the door, stumbling wildly. He slid to the floor, breathing heavily as his eyes roved wildly over the room, seeking an escape route. The muscular jaguar leaped, claws as long as meat knives, as sharp as spears, pierced the old door behind him. Max jumped.
There was no time to hesitate. He raced up the nearby stairs and along the landing, desperately wishing that he had never come here. He threw himself into the first room he came to, running for the window, and safety. A menacing growl echoed through the room. Max shook in fear. Only one creature made that sound. Slowly, reluctantly, Max turned around, knowing what he would find.
With a resigned sigh, he faced the dreaded but legendary silver jaguar. “ How did it get in here?” Max thought in confusion. He was now cornered like a trapped rat. He tried nonchalantly to slide to the left, but didn’t get far before the jaguar’s eyes narrowed, and there was a fearsome rumble in its throat. Then Max took a trembling step back, and fell clumsily out of the open window, which, ironically, was his would-be escape route. SPLAT! His mangled body lay pale and motionless on the grass. On the third floor, a dark shadowy figure slid stealthily over to the window and smiled with deep satisfaction. The reign of the dark lord Argameth would continue.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!