A Dancers Challenge


Mia leapt for joy in a turning jete as the judges stared blankly. This was the audition of her life, one filled with passion, love and ambition.
Tension filled the room and anticipation crept up on Mia. The silence broken as the judges announced their selection. Mia’s heart dipped like an emotional rollercoaster. Tears filled her eyes as she stood waiting to hear her name, it never came. I must not cry, I must not cry, Mia thought as she held back the tears; she had worked so hard.
Mia’s hard work and dedication had seemed to be all for nothing, she thought after the audition. She clutched her bag and left the dance studio. She was in her own world, not hearing the goodbyes of her friends, instead wondering what she had done wrong? Tears flowed.
The next day at dance class girls whirled and whispered, leapt and turned, for today a professional ballerina was coming. Everyone but Mia was filled with excitement. Mia didn't want anything to do with dance anymore. What she didn't know was her mood was going to change.
“Girls”, said Mia’s teacher Miss Charlotte, “I present to you Miss Amelia. She’s a professional dancer and will be sharing her story of resilience and how hard she worked to get to this level.”
Miss Amelia was tall, elegant and poised. She wore a black leotard and matching chiffon skirt which flowed gracefully.
“Hello girls. Today I want to share with you my story to inspire. I know you have recently auditioned to be selected for a competition team; congratulations to those of you who were successful. Today I am here to put a fire in those girls who missed out and ensure you know you are all amazing. Being a dancer is a challenge, because one, you have to work hard and be in the right shape. And two, you have to persevere and never give up. I'm telling you girls right now that I have auditioned many times and not made the cut. Now I’m a professional ballerina and that's because I never gave up. I work hard. Every time I’m unsuccessful it puts a fire in me and I try and try again. That's what I want you all to do.” Miss Amelia’s closing words were, “Never give up, pursue your dreams and work hard.”
When Mia got home she had something she didn't have before; resilience and perseverance. She was going to work herself to the bone until she heard her name called for the competition team. She was facing a dancer’s greatest challenge.
The curtains opened, lights illuminated the stage and A Thousand Years by Christina Perri filled the theatre. Mia felt herself move, body and mind dancing. She thought about how hard she had worked this past year to achieve her dream. As she danced across the stage, she saw Miss Amelia in the crowd. A tear trickled down her face. Finally, she had made it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!