Ocean Of Emotion

Jennifer

Blink. One. Two. Three. My eyes flutter open and I hear loud whining sounds and irritating, monotonous beeping in my ears. I have a massive headache and my forehead feels like a ball of fire. Two familiar faces swim into view. My best friend James and my father Chris. My father has single-handedly raised me after my mother tragically passed away when giving birth to me. I smile weakly as they rush over and clutch each one of my hands. I have been in the hospital for approximately 4 months, watching as desperate doctors try to find a cure. Hundreds of blood tests, heart scans and monitors. But I know deep down that my end is inevitable. Leukemia is going to end my life.

James

I sit there, squeezing Jen’s hand. She is my best friend of over 13 years. She’s the one that has been with me through all my highs and lows. She was there when I first learned how to ride a bike. She was the one that helped me find my passion in bike riding. She was even there when I broke my neck rebelliously riding down a hill on the mountain side. Man, that was a horrible decision. She is also the only one I tell all my secrets, hopes, dreams and fears. I trust her with my life. I owe her everything. And now, sitting by her white hospital bed, I don’t know what I will do without her.

Chris

She’s my baby girl. Watching her grow up to be such an accomplished, thoughtful girl is an unmatched experience. At the age of 10, when the doctor sorrowfully told us that she had leukemia, it was devastating. However, Jennifer is one tough cookie. She fought through it and continued her daily tasks while getting treatment, that is until she had to go to the hospital. The pride I felt when she received her first national piano award, or when she injured herself doing gymnastics but still kept fighting, kept going, was astounding. She never fails to impress me, that girl.

Jennifer

I stare at the two most important people in my life and I feel tears tricking down my boiling cheeks. I can’t help it. . My breath quickens and my chest tightens. I try to breathe deeply. I have to be strong. I will not be afraid.

James

She’s slipping.

Chris

She’s slipping.

James

Glistening tears cloud my vision. An ocean of emotion swirls violently inside me. I stroke Jen’s strawberry blonde hair as tenderly as possible, my hands trembling uncontrollably. I love her.

Chris

I watch. I clench her hands even tighter and kiss her forehead. She will always be that happy-go-lucky girl that loved everyone unconditionally, no matter under what circumstances. She will always be that girl to me. I love her.

Jennifer

My eyelids droop. I feel myself slowly drifting away, as light and soft as a feather.

Jennifer Wren Reed
4th February 2003- 6th March 2019
Only the good die young.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!