Ballistic Bushfire

I looked out the window watching Lexie and Cookie our adorable puppies chasing a big white butterfly. Suddenly, Cookie pounced at the butterfly and landed head first in the dirt. She sprang up and bolted to her kennel yelling.
“Goodnight,” I whispered into the darkness.
WOOF! WOOF!
Errrr mmhhh, I yawned, what's going on?
WOOF! WOOF!
Ohhh I smell smoke.
“Ahhhhhhh FIRE! FIRE!”
A wall of flames rose in the neighbour's garden, fear slapped me in the face. The dogs! I raced down the stairs two at a time.
“Cookie, Lexie!” I screamed into the smoke, two glowing eyes stared through the melting window. I raced to the back door and ripped it open. Two dogs came bolting in. I could see Mum, Dad and Jamie at the front door. Dad had his phone pressed hard against his ear, I swear it was cutting off his circulation. I ran towards the door, sirens screaming at me. NO! The house collapsed behind me.
The bushland behind the house blackened along with our house, demolishing everything I owned, ashes, flames, everything, but my family and I.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!