Not Just A Walk In The Park

“Bridget!” yells mum, “Go walk the dog please!” “Okay.”

I clip on Crunchie’s lead and we head off to the park. As I’m walking, I notice something in the distance. Crunchie gets excited and I realise it’s a dog, but strangely, one with no owner. I look at its tag:

Alfie
0456 938 247
5 Bokento Avenue, Crailee

That’s the… Oh gosh! 5 Bokento Avenue is this run down house with cracked windows, peeling paint and dead flowers. “Dreadful!” I think to myself. Well, I can’t leave this poor, innocent little dog on its own. I have to take it to its owner.

I take Crunchie home, then set off with my phone, some money and the dog, of course. As I walk towards the house, my heart skips a few beats. It looks even worse than I remembered. I walk up the steps. ‘CRUNCH’. One of the steps cracks. Again, my heart skips a few beats.

The dull thump of the loose doorknocker echoes sinisterly through the house. I wait, but no one answers. Piercing the quiet though, I hear the whistle of a kettle from within the house. Someone must be in there.

Not feeling at all brave, I call out “Hello?” No answer. I carry on, “I have your dog. I have Alfie.” Eventually, I turn to go, pulling poor Alfie away behind me.

I start to wonder what I am going to do with Alfie when I hear a key turn in a lock and a bolt slide. I turn around to see the door open narrowly. I wait to see who is behind that door, my heart now thudding in my chest, only to thump harder when I hear footsteps retreating into the house. Am I supposed to follow? Do I walk away? What about Alfie?

For some strange reason, the dog gives me courage. Surely Alfie will protect me. Well, that’s what Crunchie would do anyway! Courageously, I walk through the door. A musty smell devours me. That’s when I see torn wallpaper, broken glass, and money lying around. Astonished, I quiver out another “I have Alfie”.

The answer is not a voice but footsteps coming towards me. My fear rises up and, in a panic, I drop Alfie’s lead and make for the door. “No, wait!” comes an equally panicked response, “Don’t go!” I am jolted by surprise. The voice was not what I expected. It was the voice of an elderly woman, who was now approaching me. “Please don’t go”, she repeats. “I never see anyone. Not since my husband died a while ago. It is so lonely. I just went to pour water on the tea, I was hoping you’d stay . . .”

I did stay, and the following day I came again. That weekend, I made biscuits and I visited with my mum. Meredith became a wonderful friend to our whole family. We helped her around the house, and lifting her spirits gave us bundles of joy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!