All Heroes Are Betrayed

Sergeant Ralph Tanner gripped his M16A2 rifle, the smooth steel of its handle cold against his skin, he was tense. Tanner looked at his watch, only seven minutes left. He and his men had been waiting in the enemy’s camp for nearly the entire day. Earlier that morning, two hours and thirty-three minutes before dawn, they had come and hidden inside the various empty crates that the enemy kept within their tunnels for reasons unknown to the Sergeant. Then, they had waited. Now, their wait was almost up. Only four minutes now, four minutes until he and his men would burst out of their crates. Then, if all went according to plan, the helicopters would come. The choppers would bring men to reinforce them. Two minutes. After the reinforcements came, they would take the land back from the enemy. One minute. Tanner readied himself. Memories of his family came to his mind. He savoured these moments he had to think about his family, after all, this might be the last time he thought about them. Ten seconds. Now, he steeled himself. Five. He knew that even if he didn’t make it out of here, at least he’d win a victory for his country. Now! Sergeant Tanner stormed out of his crate. Guns at the ready, they began to fire on the unsuspecting enemy. Unprepared, the enemy soldiers fell before them like grass before a scythe. A few quick-thinking men among the enemy managed to pick up their weapons and fire a few shots back toward them. However, all of their shots missed and they were mowed down before they could try again. Sergeant Tanner didn’t enjoy killing others, far from it. He would never think of murdering someone. This was different, though. This was war. Here he killed not to end lives, but to claim victory for his people. And, while he killed, there was no spite in him. The defenders in this section of the camp had now been lessened, save for a few that had fled. Tanner looked around, all of his men were still standing. Then, more defenders came to replace those dead. More gunfire ensued. But the enemy were too many. The young Sergeant watched as his men slowly fell. Soon, he only had six men. Where were the reinforcements? Distracted by this stray thought, Tanner took a bullet. The Sergeant dropped his rifle. Then, a low drumming filled the air, help had come. But they didn’t land, instead they flew overhead and continued their course. What was going on? Then, he saw it. There were no reinforcements, he and his men had been sent as a distraction while the rest of the army retreated. And they had tricked him into thinking that they were going to win the battle and that help would come. All of that was a lie. Anger raged through Tanner’s body, he looked down at the grenade in his left hand. With the last of his strength, he pulled the pin.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!