The Mission To Steal The Rosetta Stone


“Are we nearly there yet?!?” asked Iris for the hundredth times.
“Look we’re here!” I said with a big smile on my face. I pointed towards the big pyramid surrounded by green palm trees swaying as the breeze goes past us. We ran freely towards to the opening at the bottom of the pyramid like fire through stubble. As soon as we came in I felt chills running down my arms and my breath echoed through the ancient hallways as I trembled my way towards the carved statues. The wall of colorful hieroglyphs shone as the torch blinded our eyes like we were living next to the sun. I waited patiently as my friend leaned against the wall decoding the hieroglyphs which will lead us to the precious tomb’s chamber
When I took a step, the ground elevated and the ceiling opened to a brand-new room. At the center of the room a high stone with an ancient button in the middle came to our attention. I was about to press it when a huge shadow appeared behind me, blocking out the light like a lunar eclipse.
“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?” said the mysterious shadow. I turned my back and a gigantic cat figure with wings the size of a bus sat there with anger. “I’ve met many of you grave robbers…And none have made it out alive,” the sphinx muttered. “So, let me ask you again…what are you doing!?” We stood there speechless with our jaw on the ground. “I think what you are trying to say is that you want the piece of the Rosetta Stone…” she muttered. “Well let’s see your confidence go down after hearing this riddle you have to answer... What gets wetter as you dry?” She said with confidence. We looked at each other with a grin and yelled the same answer at the same time “A TOWEL!”. Her smile turn upside down as she unlocks the sacred room for us.

“WHOOO!” We jumped up to the ceiling and gave each other a high five to celebrate our great victory. A shiny light appeared brightly in front of us, it stood out luminously on the wall of hieroglyphs like a flamingo in a flock of pigeons. We raced towards the remaining piece of the sacred Rosetta Stone and carved it off the colored wall of hieroglyphs. Crack! The tomb started crumbling to pieces like a house of sand. I grabbed the stone and dashed towards the spot of light. As we kept running we heard a loud sound of screaming behind us, as we turned around we realised that is was our friend Iris trapped in a mountain of rocks. We tried going back but a statue collapsed in front of us making a gigantic noise. It frightened me that it made me slip the sacred stone out of my hand, I had the choice of saving my friend or the precious Rosetta stone.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!