Loneliness

I experienced various emotions that I thought I would never feel, especially at such a young age. The paint on the inside was faded, the scent like an old nursing home. I had only been there for half a day and I already missed my family, like I was drowning in a sea of grief. The dinner bell rang and as I left my room, a girl, Julia, shoved me into the wall. I picked myself up and brushed myself off as Julia ran away. Mr Brown came storming in and screamed at me. I tried to tell him it wasn’t my fault, but he didn’t want to hear anything I had to say. I was sent to my room without dinner. I just wanted to leave.

The feeling of loneliness stuck with me. I planned my elaborate escape for days. I was confident that today was the day. I planned to escape at 6:47pm when the doors open as they open at the exact same time everyday. They stay open for exactly two minutes, so I only had two minutes to flee.

It was getting closer to my escape from this nightmare. I needed money so I knew I had to steal some from Mr. Brown’s desk. As the dinner bell rang and all the children ran to dinner, I walked into Mr. Brown’s office and grabbed some money. I ran backup to my room and hid it in my getaway bag. I sprint down to the dining room and excuse myself for being late. We were dismissed from dinner so I grabbed my getaway bag and crept to the front door. It is time. The doors start to open. To distract the tall, angry guard, I tell him there is a fight in the other room. As he was rushing in the opposite direction, I ran and ran.

I am exhausted and lost. The further I walk, the less people I see. I sit down at a bus stop and take out one of the few snacks I smuggled from the orphanage. I see on the old, teared up timetable that there is a bus in two minutes. I get on the bus, give the driver money and take a seat. I get off the bus at the last stop so I was far away from the orphanage. I see the worst sights that were reminiscent of my childhood memories.

It was such beauty on the outside which almost flooded away the feelings of pain I endured. The colours of the walls were bright and exotic which almost distracted me from the hurt I suffered. It made everyone happy to be there except me. Behind the walls of the orphanage my happiness slowly disappeared and I suffered great grief that was caused from the separation of my loved ones. From such a young age, I was separated because of something my family was accused of. I never understood why and don’t think I ever will.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!