Pain

The screams were all consuming. I raked my fingernails down my face, having started at my temples. The relief it brought was short lived and the screams continued to press against my skull. I started to scream too, though not understanding why, joining the horrible chorus of high pitched noise. Suddenly it all stopped. With the silence I stopped. I opened my eyes - stunned. It took me all of five seconds to clear my vision and have the feeling return to my body. I sensed no one else near me so I tried to get up from where I had curled up on the cold, concrete floor. I looked around - taking in my surroundings. Everything was covered in a haze of black. The orange glow of fires shone in nearby buildings whose walls had collapsed and mainly held rubble with only a few remaining walls. People were running past me, their screams of terror or shouts for help completely lost on me. I turned in a slow circle and saw everything was decimated. Dead bodies covered the ground; some with crying people hovering over them, others half covered in the rubble of one of the many butchered buildings. A hollow feeling filled my body and I started to sob. I stood and walked around in a daze; seeing but not seeing; thinking but never forming true thoughts.

I stopped in front of a house, completely un-touched by the thing that had destroyed the rest of the city. The slated tiling of the roof pristine, the cream walls un-marked. The casement windows gleaming in the darkness.

I walked straight up to the mahogany door and pushed it open.

I chocked on the congested air and shuffled down to the basement. My feet making a rhythmic tap as I descended. I unlocked the trapdoor in one of the corners, completely invisible to the untrained eye. I climbed down the ladder and flicked on the light switch next to the last rung. The warm light stuttered and finally filled the space. Before I could turn around I felt a cool metal pressed into the back of my neck. I let out an involuntary shudder.

“Move and you die,” whispered a coarse, unfamiliar voice.

At first I thought it was my Mother, playing some kind of sick joke on me. But as a large hand clamped down on my shoulder and turned me around I saw that it couldn’t possibly be Mum. She lay on her side against the far wall, a pool of blood pouring out of multiply holes in her back. Next to her lay my little brother, blood spreading from a hole in his stomach. I moved my gaze from his stomach to the face of the sweet little ten year old who had been robbed of his life.

I started to scream again, only this time I knew why. I dropped to my knees, the hand on my shoulder no longer there. The only family I had was dead. The people I had spent countless birthdays with; the only people who had cared what I got in my exams; the only people who had ever truly understood me were now dead. The pain which that knowledge brought tore me apart. My screams increased and the room was lit with a warm glow, which increased in heat and brightness. The glow was coming from me though, not the light. Suddenly the globe above me smashed. The next thing I saw was total blackness, but I was not unconscious, the room was simply dark. Instantly something cold struck the base of my head and I felt myself fall. My head hit the cold concrete floor. Hard. Before I was swallowed up by unconsciousness, I heard a door open and footsteps.

“She’s the one,” I heard someone whisper as the blackness consumed me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!