I Promise

My parents were amazing people. I remember on my 7th birthday party no-one showed. I sat at the door for hours. In the end, there was no laughing or music filling the rooms. My parents had taken me out and we had our own little party, ‘they love me’ I remember thinking.

The following year I was being bullied at school so I ran away, to a tiny park where we used to play every Friday afternoon. They knew exactly where I was. ‘We love you and we would never leave you’ were the hushed words they recited to me over and over again.

I really truly believed that with all of my heart, until they left me.

We were coming home after a party at about 1 am. There was a hard aggressive knock at the hardwood door my mum opened it. I was heading to my room replaying all the happy memories with a grin spreading across my cheeks. I heard an unfamiliar voice that made me feel scared; it was dangerous and violent.

‘Karen?!’ my dad questioned my mother's eerie silence.

A shrill scream came from a female voice, my mother. I raced to my phone and called 000. As I phoned I heard many crashes the followed it. Feet thudding on the hardwood floor. I heard a click at my door, I almost got whiplash from how quickly I had turned around, my dad had locked my door to keep me safe. I said words to the dispatch I can’t remember now. I heard loud sobbing, wailing, later realising, I was the one making those sounds. I remember the hot tears of grief that rolled down my cheeks ferociously. I was so alone and scared. Blue and red light shined through my pastel pink curtains. I remember when the wave of relief hit me, the police were finally here. I remember smiling, thinking about how everything would finally be alright.

Then suddenly, two blasts went off. Two gunshots.

Now, I’m standing underneath the starry night sky, age sixteen. Remembering the stories my parents told me about how once we all die we go up to the night sky and turn into stars. I believe them, just like I did when I was younger. It’s ironic really, they had been retelling me those stories in the car when we were coming back from the party six years ago. I knew deep inside my heart my parents are watching me, guiding me down my long and dark path that had countless obstacles in my way, my life. I know now that they didn’t mean to leave me and that’s okay. I’m fine now. I promise…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!