I Opened The Trunk In The Attic, The Ancient Photograph Looked Just Like Me

I smile at the chubby faced toddler in my lap. His trusting arms embrace my neck as he begs me to tell him my story for perhaps the hundredth time. I am easily won over by his entreaties and so I begin…
The leather straps dangerously creaked as I eased the dusty trunk open. Holding up the bulky torch I peered into the dim interior of the well-travelled trunk. Gingerly I sifted through moth ridden garments, crumbling letters, and fading photographs from a bygone era. There was certainly a lot of stuff in here.
I shifted myself into a slightly less uncomfortable position wedged between the wall and trunk and prepared for a long afternoon.
Before long I had carefully removed the contents of the trunk, namely: a suspiciously moist perfume bottle – with no perfume, some fraying bits of lace, seventeen buttons, half a dozen garments of different colours and styles, twenty three deeply romantic letters, a hideous pair of lace-up boots, seven bulky old-fashioned rings and necklaces, a chipped but beautiful tea set, a journal with minuscule unreadable lines, and a stack of torn black and white photographs kept together with a piece of string.
The last find was what interested me the most. Here was a splendid chance to find what I so needed. The first few were of a family all dressed up in their finest gowns with grim expressions standing around an elderly matron carrying a primped-up poodle. The next was a perfectly grand mansion standing upon perfectly manicured lawns and surrounded by perfectly trimmed hedges. Yes, very nice I thought but not quite what I was looking for.
Idly thumbing through a couple more, I came to one showing a teenage girl with hair neatly coiffed and dressed like a miniature adult. Her collar was buttoned tightly up almost to her chin and her sleeves, frilly and puffy, ended at her wrist showing long elegant fingers wrapped around a lacy fan. She had had an unnaturally slim, curved waist, the trademark of a tightly laced whaleboned corset.
But what really caught my eye was her face. Her eyes; dark and smouldering beneath elegantly arched brows, had a sort of confident smug look about them. Delicate lips were held in a patronising smile and altogether she looked like someone who had every right to be where she was.
And then it clicked.
The eyes. The lips. The face. I was the girl in the photograph. Well, it wasn’t actually me, of course, but if I was dolled up like her; I very well could have been. Scarcely daring to breath, I flipped over the photograph to see in neat script the fading words, ‘Audrey Victoria Edwards, Born May 14th 1901.’ She must have been my great - grandmother.
I could have sobbed with relief. All those years I had been searching; searching for the lost family I never had. Finally, I held a piece of my family’s puzzle; small though it may be. I had never met any of my family before but when I looked into her beautiful eyes, so like mine, I felt like I had known her-really known her-all my life.
I had found my family within that dear, ancient photograph, so long tucked away in an abandoned old trunk in the attic.
I was home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!