Never Look Back!

A cold wind brushed past me as tiny lights peered between the tree trunks. Theodore hesitantly picked up the torch, keeping his eyes fixed on the haunting objects as they drew closer. One step at a time I slowly backed away. All eyes turned to the movement I made, as water splashed onto jagged rocks below. A fall off the edge would mean death. More eyes came into view but shadows concealed all else. A clear forest pathway lead straight to our camp where safety awaited. Theodore hesitantly drew toward the unfamiliar animals, food in one hand and torch in the other. He waved some raw red meat, our provision, in the hope of diverting their attention. The creatures stared at it and crept closer. Theodore looked back at us, using hand movements to indicate the plan he was making. We all turned in the direction of our get away, while Theodore remained in position. The raw meat flew skywards and was demolished before the cool wind could touch it. Theodore sprinted after us. As I looked back, to see the outcome of our escape, a faraway boat beeped its horn; these distractions cast my view from the path ahead and from the rock I was running straight towards. I stumbled to the ground while the beeping of the ship grew louder and quicker. The eyes of the animals grew hungrier as they surrounded me. I looked around in frantic panic but Theodore and the others had already made it back to camp. Somehow the ship’s constant beeping sounded peaceful, but I knew I would never get to see what it came for. The creatures emerged from the shadows revealing white carcasses as their bodies. A clear compartment was located within their bare bones and in one animal was the piece of meat Theodore had thrown. Vampire-like teeth stuck out in every direction from their mouths while two snake tongues, licking constantly, covered them in saliva. Trying to back away and only managing to scramble upon the ground, the sand under my fingers fell away as a tarnished silver object appeared; a rusted coin. Still pinned to the ground, evil creatures surrounding me, I threw the coin with all my might. Most of the creatures turned and chased it while the more vicious ones stayed. They started at my legs. Sharp claws dug into my skin and blood poured out, soaking the sand. All the way to my torso, I could feel it all; no more legs. As I struggled to breathe, the creatures, full from their feast, soon vanished. Theodore and the others watched in agony for me. I turned to look at them and speak, but nothing came out. My body was already shutting down. Theodore came to me and, trying to help, he sat me up. I tried to beg him to end my pain. Tears trickled down his cheek and dripped onto the blood-soaked sand. Reluctantly he lifted up a rusted blade. I closed my eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!