That's Not Me...

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

Pop music blared in the air, the static sound vibrating in the thick, hazy atmosphere. Teenagers swarmed the dance floor, their bodies moving in time to the deafening beat. I inhaled a deep breath, almost choking on the distinct scent of cigarette smoke. I sat alone in a dark corner, beer in my hand. I knew I shouldn’t drink, Mum warned me, but I rebelled against her. Trying to act cool in front of my friends. But it didn’t seem to matter, they were out there, dancing with strangers.
I sunk into the crowd, letting the drunken bodies push up against me. Anything to take my mind off life.
A clammy hand pulled at mine. I flinched, pulling away.
“Ree! C’mon!”
Aella pushed me through the club doors, towards the silver SUV parked by the entrance. I jumped into the front seat, glancing at Aella. Her breath reeked of alcohol.
Aella changed into gear, smiling dazedly at me. Her glazed eyes closing as the car shot forward. I opened my mouth to scream as we collided with a solid concrete wall, but I no longer had a voice.
<><><>
“I’m not sure, Doctor McCardi, I’ve never seen her before.”
“She must have come from somewhere.”
Consciousness swept back through my mind, forcing me to notice the excruciating pain crippling my body. I forced my heavy eyes open, taking in the constant beep around me for the first time.
“She’s awake.”
A plump nurse scuttled to my side, her eyes filled with concern.
“What’s your name, honey?”
“Ree DeAngelo,”
The nurse’s face paled, her eyes widening so far, I could see the bloodshot veins creeping toward her green irises. She spun around so fast, the medicine-filled cart shot across the room. Bottles shattered against the cold ground.
“Diana? Are you alright.” The doctor grasped her arm, he shot me a look I couldn’t name.
Diana pointed at me, her hand shaking violently. “She says she’s Reanna DeAngelo. The girl who died in the club accident.”
My mouth slacked, 'Died?'
Doctor McCardi came over to me, his forehead creased in a million places. “Reanna is dead, she was killed instantly at Barker’s Club two weeks ago, her friend drove them into a wall. You are not Ree!”
Fear pulsed through my veins, turning my blood to ice. Shudders convulsed my entire body, I was paralysed.
“Who are you?” his inky eyes pierced mine, trying to find a way into my head.
My mind was blank. This wasn’t possible! It couldn’t be! There was no way! Ripping the tube from my arm, I swung my legs off the bed. Dr. McCardi grabbed my arm, but I tore from his grasp, ignoring the immense pain shooting through me. I stumbled into the adjoining bathroom. Hands steadying my weak body on the china basin, I rose my eyes to the mirror hanging on the wall. My eyes connected with a stranger’s. I stumbled backwards, slamming against the wall.
My voice shuddered, “That’s not me.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!