Sand In The Hourglass

A shimmering thread of gold stitched the horizon line, and the pearly rainclouds overhead showered the granite sky with rain, cloaking the atmosphere in a thick mist. Ordinarily the seagulls’ discordant cries could be heard ringing off the cliffs by the ocean and the sky would be scarlet. But today was different. Today was restless, and the tempestuous ocean was sending its’ waves to be broken vigorously against the sharp, jagged rocks rising like turrets from the water.
Luna – a wilder girl the age of 14 with big sea green eyes that resembled fractured moonlight on the waves and unkempt, dirty blonde curls – found herself nervously milling around the shoreline. Sane people would disagree with her choices. Most would argue that being down at the beach in weather like this could get you seriously injured or perhaps killed – but Luna had confidence. She had confidence that the sturdy boat would come sailing into the cove at any moment, and that she would be reunited with her father after 2 weeks. His marine research trip had come to an end, and it had felt like an eternity since he had departed for his expedition. Suddenly, a blue fork of electricity lit up the sky, and Luna let out a small scream of surprise. ‘Dad, please hurry.’ She urged, and her quiet voice was swept away into the winds that were gradually growing more and more dangerous. Almost instantly, as if her prayer had been answered, she spotted something far out to see, but close enough to tell that it was a boat with somebody steering it. It was her father! Luna gasped in relief, laughing at how silly she had been. Her dad was very experienced and could no doubt confidently navigate his way back home, even in winds as strong as these. The boat tipped dangerously to one side, and the waves crashed against the bow. ‘Dad!’ Luna exclaimed with happiness, and she ran closer to the fierce waves that were rolling onto the sand. It was definitely her dad alright – shaggy blonde hair, broad shoulders, and old worn clothes. ‘Luna!’ He yelled, and Luna felt her spirits lower a little. He sounded… anxious? Like he was trying to warn her? Tell her something important? Luna cautiously staggered back up the sand dunes with a feeling of unease. Instinct told her something was wrong from afar. Soon her dad arrived in the cove and he anchored the boat. He appeared to be apprehensive and tense. He dove into the turbulent waters and swam until he was within wading distance. When he made it to the shore, Luna could distinctly spot the anxious glint in his dark blue eyes. Unanswered questions swam around in Luna’s head while her dad gave her a half smile. ‘I think I may have found the lost city of Atlantis.’ He said. And it was at this moment, Luna realised, that time stood still for nobody. Atlantis had been reawakened, and they had to act fast...


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!