Uber Eagles-not Your Classic Transport

Screeeeeee! “Sorry to interrupt you, passengers, but we are losing altitude at an alarming rate” said the pilot. “Don’t worry, though, we have it all under control.”
“We do not have it all under control!” screeched the co-pilot.
Everybody panicked, but there was one man who stayed perfectly calm and composed. His name was Jack Delorean. He was a smart man with a plan. “Everybody, calm down!” he screamed. Nobody heeded his words, even though a couple of people fainted on the spot. “Well, that sucks.” he grumbled. “Since that didn’t work, I may as well go save myself.” Then he picked up his phone, wrenched open the emergency exit and was promptly sucked out into the mid-atmosphere, the cold air gripping at his face as he plummeted down, down, down.
Jack immediately began dialling a number, which was picked up after a couple of missed calls. “Is this Uber?” asked Jack. “Yes? Good. I need a pickup within 5 mins. I am at-” he consulted google maps- “85 latitude, 119 longitude and 2853 altitude and falling- fast!”
One minute later, Jack heard a screech. “I didn’t know that there were eagles here” he thought. A moment later a ginormous eagle swooped down from above! “What the...” he managed to yell but his words were cut off as the bird crashed into him, headfirst. Jack cried “OOOOF! You nasty bird!” Then he noticed the Uber badge and driver's licence on its head. “SCREEEEECH! SCREEEEEEEET!” screamed the eagle, as it came around for a second attempt at catching him. Jack looked down, and immediately wished he hadn’t. He could see the cold, hard, and unforgiving rocks down below him, drawing closer than for comfort.
“SCREECH! SCREEEEEE!” The Uber eagle was speeding towards Jack at an alarming rate! It hovered for a second below Jack before he landed square on the eagle’s back- and slipped! He tried to find something to hold him up but all he found were glossy feathers and a smooth underbelly. The eagle realised that it was losing its payload, but it was too late to catch him.
Jack was hurtling towards the ground, now fully in the grip of gravity. The Uber eagle dived, desperately trying to stop his descent, but Jack was always just a few inches away from its grasping claws. The eagle mustered all its strength and rocketed down towards Jack’s flailing limbs, trying to grab him. The ground was getting closer. Only a few metres away were the bleak rocks, waiting to gobble him up.
The Uber eagle gave one last push, putting all its strength into one last wing beat, finally grasping Jack’s arm with its claws, and pulling out of the nosedive just as Jack’s feet brushed the ground. It swung him up onto it's back, gave one last triumphant “SCREEEEEECH!” and flew off into the sunset, Jack in tow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!