Year 2708

We hadn’t been to the shops in a long time. Mum and I had been begging hard for the past week and have only just collected enough change to buy some bread and a few slices of ham. After Dad passed, Mum slowed and was fired from her job. My Nanny and Pop looked after us for a little while, but it wasn’t enough to keep on our feet. We lost our home and were forced to live outside. I’ve always dreamed of being like a normal kid again, going to school, making friends, but the only thing close to that is my best-friend Frenchie.
The year is 2708, I’m 14 years old and am currently living in and out of doorways with my Mum and our dog, Frenchie. I’ve got knotted blonde hair and wear the same baggy shirt and shorts every day. Sometimes it gets really boring, but I manage to keep myself entertained. After Mum falls asleep at around 9:30 I get up and sneak off in search of a small income.
On a normal night, if I don’t get caught that is, I like to walk around. After World War IV everyone has different opinions on everything, so it’s easy to find a paying fight. It was about quarter to midnight and while searching around I came across an alleyway with a sign, $1000 cash prize for first place. It looked like my best opportunity for the night, my best opportunity in many nights…so I took it.
As I enter the ring I look over at my opponent. He is about my height but seemed much older and looked like he had eaten dinner. After a few rounds I can see why the cash prize is so high. Blood dripped down my face and I think I had broken the majority of my fingers but I could see this guy was getting tired so I pushed on. I started running around instead of swinging, I’m on the edge of winning when I look up at the time. 4am already, if I don’t win the next round, I won't make it back before mum wakes up. He is panting now so I aim for one last hit. All my force is directed at his eye…how did I miss? I stumble forward into the boundary as he dodges and grabs me from behind. I throw my arms up and surrender, in pain and in tears. I feel as if I’ve failed everyone, $1000 out the window just like that. I get up and start running back to where I left Frenchie and Mum. When I get to the doorway there is no one there.
The year is 2718 and I’ve been searching for my Mum ever since, but still nothing. I have a small part-time job and am slowly putting my life back together, but times are still tough. Life is so different now, I’m lucky enough to have a bed and food every day but things will never be the same.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!