Last Of Her Species

I was so nervous. I couldn’t help thinking about how many people would be watching me. I was wishing it was only the judges. My parents said they would be proud of me however I went.
I ran my fingers through the tips of my red hair nervously. Well I tried to, but ended up nearly pulling it out of its pony tail. The room flinched and fell silent when I moved. I almost screamed with fury: “Just because Firecaster’s are supposed to be extinct, doesn’t mean you can treat me like a living breathing artefact!” It gets really tiring having little kids come up to you begging to see you create a fire ball in the palm of your hand, resulting in the mother dragging them away disapprovingly.
While I love my red hair it doesn’t help my situation. I walk into a room and the first thing they notice is that I’m a Firecaster. People ask my parents about me all the time. Most of the questions are “how did you get a Firecaster in the family? They died out a hundred years ago,” and “What’s her nature like? She doesn’t set everything on fire?” These questions are usually asked while I’m still within earshot.
I spent the next two hours standing in a corner with about a meter of space in front of me, kids trickling out slowly to perform. As soon as the last person had left, I started pacing the room end to end. Finally, my name came over the loud speaker. I turned the handle on the door to the stage, took a deep breath, opened it and walked through.
The lights were so bright that it took me a couple of seconds for my eye to adjust. Even though I couldn’t see, I caught snippets of what people said about me as their words swirled around the room.
‘She’s a Firecaster,’ was most common.
I scanned the crowd for my parents but gave up when one of the judges started talking.
“Contestant number?” he asked.
“2257,” I answered.
Seconds passed.
“Name and act,” The same judge questioned.
He sounded very bored to me, but I answered politely.
“My name is Ashlyn Fox. My act is singing.”
Again, seconds passed. Then the judge answered.
“You may begin.”
I took a deep breath and as soon as the music reached my ears, I was in my own little world, a world where I wasn’t I Firecaster, I was a normal girl. There was nothing except me and the music.
The song finished and was met with silence. I thought the silence would drown me. I didn’t realise it was stunned silence. The room burst into applause after what felt like eternity. The whole room simultaneously rose to their feet. I was so overwhelmed I could feel the tears stinging the corners of my eyes. Hope flickered in me; maybe they can see that there is more to this Firecaster that meets the eye.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!