Saint Joseph's Law

Three Years Ago:
The hallway was dark. The only light was in the CEO’s office.
“So Mark, I hear you’re running against me as president,” said Daniel leaning in his chair.
“Yes,” said Mark.
“Why would you go ahead and do that?” asked Daniel, taking a sip from his glass of whiskey.
“I believe you are not the right fit for the company…sir.”
Daniel smiled. He got up sauntered across to Mark and sighed, “Oh well.” He slammed Mark’s head into the corner of the table.
Present Day:
No one would take notice of Ryan now that he was running against the boss. He felt like a ghost. He walked into his office and saw Cambridge measuring it.
“What are you doing in here?” Asked Ryan.
“Oh just measuring it out. You know for when you go bye bye,” said Cambridge.
His cronies laughed.
“Get out,” demanded Ryan.
“Hey bud,” Michael popped his head into the room, “so I heard you’re running for CEO.”
“Yes, lots of people have apparently,” Ryan sighed.
“Just be careful, ok. And are we still on for lunch tomorrow?”
“Yes. I’m very excited to meet this Lyla,” said Ryan. Ryan walked out of his office.
“Ryan,” shouted Cambridge.
“Captain wants to see you,” said one of his cronies.
They walked off.
Ryan was frozen. The hallway was dark except for the light in Daniel’s office and one flickering at the end of the corridor. The light in Daniel’s office went off.
“I’ll just meet you out here.” Daniel’s cold voice echoed down the hallway.
The footsteps became louder as Daniel was getting closer. Ryan turned to run but Cambridge and his friends were there. Daniel was holding something that looked very sharp.
Ryan barged past Cambridge and ran down the stairs.
Ryan was by his grandfather’s side.
“Grandpa,” he said, “I need help with my boss.”
“You know what I do when someone’s bothering me?” said his grandfather, “I give them a push and hope no one on the roof sees!” He laughed. Ryan left.
The next morning Ryan was in the elevator with Daniel. Right at that moment Ryan knew what his grandfather meant.
“You’re not fit to run a company,” Ryan said, “the only thing you’re fit to run is one hundred metres max.” Daniel pushed the sixth floor button and the elevator stopped.
He dragged Ryan onto the sixth floor. Daniel grabbed the sledgehammer beside him and swung at Ryan. Ryan dodged and punched Daniel in the head.
“This is ABC breakfast news. We go now to some breaking news…a killer hiding behind a law firm. At 8am this morning, defence barrister, Ryan Colding, carried an unconscious CEO Daniel Woods out of his law firm. We now have proof that Mr Woods has killed at least three people. What will happen to the firm? We have heard reports about Cambridge Kirston taking over Saint Joseph’s Law.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!