Questionable?

The breeze of Santa Monica was crisp. I had just moved into the Gibson apartment, north of the ripping beaches. My first thoughts were blurred. This is all a big moment for me, moving out of my hometown to the sea I can’t compel on how overwhelmed I am! But I knew I belonged near the sea… but at the same time I didn’t know why?

I was standing under the sharp ocean air on a wharf near one of Santa Monica’s most beloved beaches. It was there when I noticed that the clouds were different… and I mean they were in a spiral, a non-ending spiral. The wind started to pick up, everyone who was on the beach left in a hurry. Haven't they learnt that beaches can pick up wind too? One girl screamed out saying, ‘RUN! It’s a hurricane!’ while grabbing her belongings and scurrying to the parking lot up to the sand hill. I didn’t understand, back home in Nebraska it would always be windy and you could never leave the house without earmuffs nor a woollen scarf half the size of a toddler.

The clouds called out my name; ‘Harley… Harley…!’ it sounded like… dad? No, impossible. Dad had left years ago! Right? At least that’s what mum told me, but his voice sounded so familiar! I never really knew him, but I remember this warm glow… I felt him. I glanced over to the side, I first saw a tall, lenient shadow standing over me, then I looked up. It was a man wearing a sapphire blue suit. It was well fitted and he looked quite sharp in it. ‘Harley Reece?’ he questioned me with a smug look.

I nodded reluctantly. ‘Hercules, it’s a pleasure to meet you!’ he said with great joy. I chuckled, ‘Hercules… how ironic.’ The man looked distressed. ‘Well, you're a very smart girl indeed… I guess you caught me! Hercules at your service, my highness.’ I was stunned! ‘What do you mean?’ I exclaimed. Hercules just snapped his fingers arrogantly and winked at me with a smirk on his face. And all in a blink of an eye, Hercules had a glow in eyes, it was too hard to resist to look… I gazed into his eyes and then he was dressed in the finest gold and silvers! There was a golden traced head-band across his forehead all embroidered with diamonds.
‘Wow… the real Hercules!’

‘Harley. There isn’t much time you need to come now! NOW Harley! Your Da-’

He said sternly while floating up. ‘W-what? I- I don’t understand!’ Hercules started floating up higher and higher by the second! And he was gone… I crumbled to the ground...storm clouds surrounded me… letters appeared in the sky in gold. ‘Questionable?’ I thought to myself. I kept on reading it. ‘Questionable! What does that mean?’ But I was too late the words had already disappeared into the mist… Then the same voice called out to me ‘Harley… think! Think Harley! Questionable!’

I started to regain my thoughts… The smell of the salty sea crashing against rocks reminded me of something… something Questionable…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!