Lest We Forget

Troops swarmed the battlefield, many men lay motionless on the plain. Bullets ricocheted into the bodies of great warriors as they collapsed onto the ground in agony. The lives of fathers, brothers and friends were taken in just a matter of seconds. I could hear the blood curdling screams of soldiers, as bombs were being ignited in the distance. As for me I stuck to the trenches, huddling down to accompany the injured fighters who were clinging on for their dear lives.
By dawn the field was stained cardinal and the number of living had diminished. Bodies were scattered along the battlefront and the trenches were now crammed with wounded soldiers, moaning in pain. A truce was put in place each night after the end of a long day of fighting and warfare. I had been extremely restless the past couple of weeks and spent my nights listening to the silence that would soon be broken by gunshots and massacre.
The sun rose over the horizon and the ongoing battle had commenced. The scent of gunpowder filled my lungs as I trudged towards the frontline. My ears rang as the first bullets were shot, I could never get used to the sound of death. My whole body vibrated as I held the trigger down.
Bullets were flying back and forth and the fight intensified dramatically. I soon chose to make a break for it, I had to retreat back to the trenches in order to survive. As I was heading back I felt a numbing sensation in one of my legs, warm liquid trickled down my calf. It was blood. My memory had blanked out after incident, but I remember feeling this unbelievable sense of fear, confusion and anxiety of not knowing which way to move... paralysing my every move.
I awoke hours later, I had been taken back to the safe zone, away from all the commotion. Whoever escorted me back had saved my life and I will be forever grateful. The bandages on my leg were now soaked through, which caused great discomfort. I had been told I had lost a lot of blood and I was instructed to rest. As the days went past, I couldn't help but think about my family back at home. My wife, my children, my relatives. I hope I get to hear them laugh again, see their charming faces. Tears started to pour down the sides of my cheeks, I wish I hadn’t taken stuff like that for granted… Although war is a terrible place, it has made me appreciate everything I have been provided with in life. Others have it much worse than me and being here has made me more aware about the other issues going on in the world. It is much more real than anyone could ever imagine.
Lest we forget.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!