Waterfall Of Doom

Brrrr! The freezing snow covered the slippery steps, blinding me with brilliant white. I could feel chills creeping up my body, numbing my fingers and toes.

Occasionally, I squinted upwards towards the sky, watching for the dreaded ghost-like monsters known as phantoms, which attacked my village each night. An ancient legend read that if someone climbed to the top of The Scared Staircase and made it past the mysterious guardian, they would find a powerful weapon that could kill phantoms.

Every year, The 3 Elders chose a couple of middle-aged men and ordered them to not come back until they had the weapon. None returned, presumed cowards or dead, and The Elders grew more and more desperate. They chose younger men, but I didn’t think he would choose me yet… until it happened. And all because of my parents.

Hatred flowed through my body as I thought of those undeserving people who had practically exiled me from my home.

-FLASHBACK-
My ‘parents’ stood by and watched calmly as The Elders dragged me into the meeting clearing and announced that I had been chosen. After I had gotten over the climax of my tear-fest, my ‘parents’ walked up to me quietly, and at first I thought they would soothe me and challenge The Elders, but that changed as soon as my ‘father’ opened his mouth.

“You should feel very happy, Samuel Wong! You are lucky that The Elders agreed to let you go...”
I sprang to my feet before ‘Father’ finished his sentence.
“WHAT?! You convinced The Elders to exile me?” I spat, about to turn and run away from these ignorant people.

“But dear Samuel, imagine all the money we would get if you found the weapon! We would be rich...”, ‘Mother’ started.
I whirled to face her, grounding my teeth in anger.
“I knew it! All you care about is money! You wouldn’t care less if I live or die, you’re not even brave enough to go yourself!”

‘Mother’ looked at me with cold eyes and I felt sick to the bottom of my stomach. She really didn’t care about me after all.
She opened her mouth, but before she could reply, a deep ‘bong’ echoed from The Elder’s bells.
“We are gathered here today, to say farewell to dear Samuel Edward Wong, and...” started the tallest Elder.
“WHAT?!” I sprang to my feet. “I’m going ALONE?!”
My father stood up. I turned to him.
“I suppose I have YOU to thank for this?” I hissed, resisting the urge to lash out and hit my ‘father’s’ face.

“Yes, Samuel. It will be a good experience for you.” my father replied, not seeming the least bit intimidated by my anger.

I couldn’t stand being there any longer. I spun around and raced for the village entrance. And as I stumbled blindly into the deep snow, I noticed one thing. No one had called me back.


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
No parents or children were harmed in the making of this book.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!