Gaming Gone Wrong

I heard my father yelling at me, as I was nearing my newest high score. “Mari!! Get off that stupid game and go do something else for once! You’ve been on the same game for hours!!”



“But Dad-’



“No buts young lady. You need some outside time, and hang out with your friends!”



If only I had some, I thought, rolling my eyes.



Reluctantly, I stood up and flicked the power off on my console. Almost immediately, I felt a flash surge through me. Next thing I realize, I’m in another world altogether – one dominated by pixels, bright colours and weird characters.



Off in the distance, I could hear my father. I yelled to get his attention, but it failed. Instead, I grab the attention of the pixelated characters. Oh no.



I ran as fast as I could, but they were also fast, chasing in an identifiable motion. Scared was an understatement of how I felt at this very moment. I was terrified. Is this the end for me? I am going to die within this pixelated world?



Out of nowhere, I was lifted off the ground by a mysterious stranger. I was shocked when I discovered who my saviour was. It was Skara the villain. Wouldn’t it have made more sense if it was the hero, Janna? I thought. Then something made me wonder.



Wait... Isn’t Skara from that game I always play? Suddenly, everything made sense. I wasn’t in a strange pixelated world – well, I was but – I was in my game, ‘A Warrior’s Fate’. Which meant...



“I’m going to die in the hands of a villain?!”



Skara suddenly came to a stop, patting the invisible dust off herself, as she still kept me within her grasp. “Who said that you are going to die in the first place?”



My confusion must have been clear. “I’m not completely evil you know!” She laughed.



I didn’t know if she was joking or not, so I stayed completely still, as she wiped the laughing tears off her face. “Ok. I’ve had my fun. Now let’s go get you back to your reality.”



I was astonished at the fact she knew about my world. “How-”



She cut me off, as she pointed in a certain direction. I turned to where she was pointing at. On the other side of the rectangular shape in the sky, was my bedroom. Which implied that-



“Words of advice, don’t get changed while you're playing games.” She cheeky said.



I blushed immensely, promising myself to cover my Tv screen with a blanket next time I get dressed. She gestured me to what looked like a control room.



“By pressing this button, you’ll be able to go back to your world.” She briefly explained.



“I nodded. “Thank you, Skara,” I said, as I went to press the button.



“See you next time I suck you into this game!” She said, cheerfully.



“Wait WHAT-”



And from that day forward, I avoided games as much as possible.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!