Darkness Calls

Eliza cast a glance behind her. All she could see was the snowy road. Darkness played with the moon’s light in the corners of her eyes, creating shadowy figures who seemed to watch Eliza as she rushed home. She continued on, stopping only when she heard the sound of whispers behind her.
Eliza
They seemed to come from all directions, calling for her, summoning her to their ghostly presence. Eliza started to run, skidding on ice as she turned the corner. She didn’t expect to be pulled into a dark alley, and, as she slipped into the realms of unconsciousness, she saw bright red eyes staring at her from above.

Eliza woke in a small, bare room. She could barely see her surroundings, but a crack of dim light leaked into the room from underneath a wooden door. Eliza, mind foggy with confusion, carefully stood up, walking slowly towards the door. The handle was cold underneath her hand, and did not budge. Backing up against a wall, Eliza slumped to the ground, panic taking over her mind, eradicating any logical thoughts she might have had. She sat there, for what could have been hours, or could have been minutes, until a soft tapping sounded on the door. Eliza shot to her feet, preparing to defend herself against any evil that might enter into the room. As the door gradually opened, the figure of a tall man could be seen against the dim light of the adjoining room.
“You’re awake,” the man’s low voice reached Eliza’s ears, causing a deeper panic than before. As she opened her mouth to scream, the man rushed towards her, covering her mouth with one hand, and grabbing her wrists with the other.
“You must be quiet, Eliza. Be quiet and listen.” Tears poured down Eliza’s face. Surely, she thought, surely this man will kill me. She struggled to free her arms, but his grip was too strong. Unnaturally strong.
“Eliza, you don’t need to fear me. Look. Look me in the eyes.” Eliza lifted her gaze to the man’s eyes. A dull red glint was all she could see.
“What I’m about to give you, Eliza, is not a curse. It is a gift. You were chosen by the Spirit Ones to receive it, and I am the one who must give it to you. You must understand that, Eliza.” His eyes looked into hers, studying her tear-stained face.
And Eliza could only watch as the man parted his lips, revealing the glint of two razor sharp fangs. He leant down to her neck, and the world went dark.

Darkness
It’s menacing aura was all around her, surrounding her, filling her, becoming her. Darkness was her, and she was darkness.

She felt strong. She felt as though she could destroy anything in her path. Opening her eyes, she saw the world with more detail. The man stood by the wall, smiling at her.
“Feeling thirsty?” he asked, fangs displayed in a mischievous grin.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!