Happy Together

“The difference between living and being alive is huge, two things that sound like they have the same meaning but are nowhere near the same.”

This story begins in a small city in Colorado, America, this city holds many secrets and stories, this city is called Creede, population: 290. In this small city there are many buildings filled with small and large families but there is one particular family, The Holter’s, they are a family of five. In the Holter’s family there’s Scott: the father, Lia: the stepmother, Lane: the eldest child, daughter, Miles: the middle child, son and Olivia: Libby, the youngest child, daughter. Lane is a short, beautiful and creative girl who believes in success and is very loyal. Miles is a very tall, limber boy who loves sports and technology. Libby is a smart, playful little girl who enjoys art, sport and is very pretty.

On Libby’s last day year 7 she got her end of year report; her father reads it aloud to her. “Olivia has gone through the year in a kind and caring mood, she always makes sure everybody fits in and belongs. I have enjoyed having her in my class this year and hope to have her again next year, she has done exemplary well this year in the highest graded class and I hope she tries out again for next year. Her class 7B are very glad they had her this year and I’m sure they all learnt a few things off her. We congratulate her for finishing the year on such a positive note.” “That comment was from Miss Roberts, your former music teacher.” Scott told her. “I think you did very well.” Lia said stopping in the doorway. “Well I’m going to the grocer, what do we need?” Lia asked. “Milk, cereal, bread and yoghurt.” Lane listed walking in. “Can you take the girls?” Miles yelled from the lounge room. “Of course, if they want to come that is.” Lia exclaimed. “I’ll come.” Libby said. “Me to.” Lane gushed. They left in less than five minutes after that and immediately Miles turned the TV on to Netflix and put on Stranger Things, this was his favourite show.

When the girls got home Miles was halfway through the episode and Lane ran up and jumped over the back of the lounge grabbing a packet of popcorn on her way, Libby walked over and sat down, she reached for her book on the tea table and began reading, Lia cooked some popcorn and brought it over, Scott grabbed a big bottle of Pepsi Max and came to sit with the rest of the family, they always had days like this when they sat together and watched Stranger Things. It was the only time they were all happy at the same time, happy with each other, eating food, drinking Pepsi and getting fat. They were living their lives to the fullest, together.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!